Class ID?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Franklin P Patchey, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in order to
    play a movie on mine
    Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
    something?

    What is the classid and why is it needed?

    <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1"
    classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    codebase=

    "http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Versi
    on=5,1,52,701"
    standby="Loading Microsoft® Windows® Media Player components..."
    type="application/x-oleobject">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="media/video/x.mpeg">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">
    <EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
    pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
    SRC="test.avi"
    name="MediaPlayer1"
    width=240
    height=180
    autostart=0
    showcontrols=0>
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

    Franklin P Patchey, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Franklin P Patchey

    Richard Guest

    Franklin P Patchey wrote:

    > I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in
    > order to
    > play a movie on mine
    > Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
    > something?

    > What is the classid and why is it needed?

    I trust you are not trying to implement this particular coding as is?
    The class id in this case is referring to a location within the computer
    system itself.
    Then the rest of the coding goes to initiating the values for the program
    controls which eventually get shown on the screen.
    This [classid] is not the same class id as in "div#page1{}"

    This coding example is truly for those who have full grasp on how things
    work properly.
    Do not use it until you do.

    Richard, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Franklin P Patchey

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bnkaq6$f7k$>, REMOVETHIS101001
    @talk21.com says...
    > What is the classid and why is it needed?

    A class ID is what identifies an activeX object (I.e. the embedded media
    player) The class ID is entered into the registry of the windows
    computer.

    In the case of Mozilla and Netscape (other than 7.1 which correctly
    handles activeX objects) they use Plugins to run the ActiveX objects
    (hence <embed>)

    Make sure you have everything installed correctly and try again. Or go
    to a site that you know works and steal their HTML code, and modify it
    for your stream.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Franklin P Patchey wrote:

    > <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1"
    > classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    > codebase=
    >
    > "http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Versi
    > on=5,1,52,701"
    > standby="Loading Microsoft® Windows® Media Player components..."
    > type="application/x-oleobject">
    > <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
    > <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="media/video/x.mpeg">
    > <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
    > <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">
    > <EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
    > pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
    > SRC="test.avi"
    > name="MediaPlayer1"
    > width=240
    > height=180
    > autostart=0
    > showcontrols=0>
    > </EMBED>
    > </OBJECT>

    A whole bunch of proprietry code. Instead try:

    <object id="MediaPlayer1" data="media/video/x.mpeg"
    type="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="180">
    <h5>Embedded Object</h5>
    <h6>Help</h6>
    the correct plugins for <code>application/x-mplayer2</code> or
    for viewing later. If neither of these is a possibility, a brief
    description of what you're missing out on follows.</p>
    <h6>Description</h6>
    </object>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Toby I have tried your code but it brings a warning up on the window saying
    a active x control may be unsafe interacting with something and if you
    click ok (go ahead) it opens the movie in the main windows media player
    window

    What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
    alter something on your pc when u open the page??

    Franklin P Patchey, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Franklin P Patchey wrote:

    > What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
    > alter something on your pc when u open the page??

    It is a nasty attribute.

    Instead of saying "play this file", it says "embed this plugin". There are
    plenty of browsers that are unable to embed that plugin because they don't
    support ActiveX, but that are still able to play the file -- either by
    using a different plugin, or by launching the file in an appropriate
    window.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Oct 29, 2003