Class ID?

Franklin P Patchey

I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in order to
play a movie on mine
Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
something?

What is the classid and why is it needed?

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1"
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
codebase=

"http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Versi
on=5,1,52,701"
standby="Loading Microsoft® Windows® Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="media/video/x.mpeg">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">
<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
SRC="test.avi"
name="MediaPlayer1"
width=240
height=180
autostart=0
showcontrols=0>
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

Richard

Franklin said:
I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in
order to
play a movie on mine
Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
something?
What is the classid and why is it needed?

I trust you are not trying to implement this particular coding as is?
The class id in this case is referring to a location within the computer
system itself.
Then the rest of the coding goes to initiating the values for the program
controls which eventually get shown on the screen.
This [classid] is not the same class id as in "div#page1{}"

This coding example is truly for those who have full grasp on how things
work properly.
Do not use it until you do.

Whitecrest

REMOVETHIS101001 said:
What is the classid and why is it needed?

A class ID is what identifies an activeX object (I.e. the embedded media
player) The class ID is entered into the registry of the windows
computer.

In the case of Mozilla and Netscape (other than 7.1 which correctly
handles activeX objects) they use Plugins to run the ActiveX objects
(hence <embed>)

Make sure you have everything installed correctly and try again. Or go
to a site that you know works and steal their HTML code, and modify it
for your stream.

Toby A Inkster

Franklin said:
[...]

A whole bunch of proprietry code. Instead try:

<object id="MediaPlayer1" data="media/video/x.mpeg"
type="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="180">
<h5>Embedded Object</h5>
<h6>Help</h6>
the correct plugins for <code>application/x-mplayer2</code> or
for viewing later. If neither of these is a possibility, a brief
description of what you're missing out on follows.</p>
<h6>Description</h6>
</object>

Franklin P Patchey

Toby I have tried your code but it brings a warning up on the window saying
a active x control may be unsafe interacting with something and if you
click ok (go ahead) it opens the movie in the main windows media player
window

What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
alter something on your pc when u open the page??

Toby A Inkster

Franklin said:
What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
alter something on your pc when u open the page??

It is a nasty attribute.

Instead of saying "play this file", it says "embed this plugin". There are
plenty of browsers that are unable to embed that plugin because they don't
support ActiveX, but that are still able to play the file -- either by
using a different plugin, or by launching the file in an appropriate
window.