Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings

Discussion in 'Java' started by JSH, Aug 23, 2008.

  1. JSH

    JSH Guest

    Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
    curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
    really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
    held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
    it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
    10 per day, on a good day.

    The program itself isn't big or complicated and really just gives you
    a GUI for quick reference on Java classes to see all the public
    methods, fields and constructors, and it will open a browser to get
    javadocs, and can take you to the specific method:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#copyValueOf(char[],%20int,%20int)

    The program built that URL and opened Firefox for me to it and I just
    copied that out to show here.

    How good of a feature is that? I know now developers are using IDE's
    while when I was professionally programming I used an IDE with C++,
    but the Java ones were considered crappy by my fellow developers
    (should date when I was developing) so they convinced me to do
    everything from the command line. And I hate IntelliSense.

    All the javadocs I need are kept up with in an xml file, so once
    they're in there, I don't have to look them up again and the program
    opens them up in an instant to the method I want, and if there are
    changes I just open it with a text editor and make the changes to the
    path for the URL.

    I've considered letting people do that through the GUI but without
    feedback I don't know if it's needed or would be useful.

    Oh yeah, as I cover neat features as I need more info, and getting
    feedback about users is a waste as I learned earlier, I'll ask about
    comparisons, one thing I love is the ability to do a search on every
    public method with a certain character string in it. Like I can
    search for everything with "ode", in String and get the following
    output:

    int hashCode()
    int codePointAt(int)
    int codePointBefore(int)
    int codePointCount(int,int)
    int offsetByCodePoints(int,int)

    So that just pulled everything with "Code", and that's everything in
    String. Or you can search on "char" and get every method that has
    "char" in it at all, which I think is just neat.

    The program itself is just middle-ware I think on Java Reflections
    which returns methods with package information which makes that hard
    to read so the program strips that off (or tries to strip it off), and
    then it just gives you search, and finally you can double-click on a
    method and get javadocs opened up for you to that method.

    So then, does all of that deserve a #1 ranking in Google for a search
    on "Class Viewer"?

    Do the IDE's now do all of that for you?

    And if it's a decent little program, why do I only get at best 10 hits
    per day on the main webpage?

    James Harris
    JSH, Aug 23, 2008

  2. On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
    > blahblahblah

    My balls are hairier than yours.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 23, 2008

  3. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 23, 12:58 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    wrote:
    > On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
    >
    > > blahblahblah

    > My balls are hairier than yours.
    >
    > --
    > DF.

    Do you have balls? Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
    My mistake.

    ___JSH
    JSH, Aug 23, 2008
  4. On 23/08/2008 22:55, JSH allegedly wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 12:58 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
    >>
    >>> blahblahblah

    >> My balls are hairier than yours.
    >>

    > Do you have balls? Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
    > My mistake.

    No biggie.

    But do you understand what that statement meant, James? That your "I'm
    better than you 'cause I've got a Google rank" attitude is childish and
    obnoxious?

    It's plain enough by now that you're a narcissistic character. So I'm
    afraid pointing out the logical flaws in your argumentation won't reach
    you. But don't you realise you're merely talking to your reflection in
    the mirror? That your whole attitude revolves around telling yourself
    how great you are and getting others to tell it to you? But James,
    nobody gives a crap about you and your Google rank.

    Can't you realise that? In all earnestness, James, can you even fathom
    that what's important to you isn't important to everyone else? Can you
    even comprehend that there are people who take neither your nor their
    own belly-button for the centre of the world?

    Can't you realise that you're annoying the shit out of everyone with
    your ClassViewer stuff? That it is utterly pathetic? That if you go on
    like this the only person you will have left to talk to and who doesn't
    shout back at you will be your reflection in the mirror?

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 23, 2008
  5. JSH

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    JSH wrote:
    > Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
    > curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
    > really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
    > held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
    > it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
    > 10 per day, on a good day.

    If I created a tool called "Foobartistic barfoolarum", then I
    would probably also get pretty high on Google for that term.

    Class viewer is not a term used by Java developers and the type
    of software is not used by Java developers.

    So the two facts that you are high on Google and low on hits
    are not contradictions.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 24, 2008
  6. JSH

    Guest

    On Aug 23, 3:43 pm, JSH <> wrote:

    > while when I was professionally programming I used an IDE with C++,

    This would be when you were professionally programming at Alltel in
    Atlanta, right? Before they fired you for gross incompetence and
    almost unfathomable stupidity?
    , Aug 24, 2008
  7. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 23, 3:19 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    wrote:
    > On 23/08/2008 22:55, JSH allegedly wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 23, 12:58 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> My balls are hairier than yours.

    > > Do you have balls?  Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
    > > My mistake.

    > No biggie.
    >
    > But do you understand what that statement meant, James? That your "I'm
    > better than you 'cause I've got a Google rank" attitude is childish and
    > obnoxious?
    >
    > It's plain enough by now that you're a narcissistic character. So I'm
    > afraid pointing out the logical flaws in your argumentation won't reach
    > you. But don't you realise you're merely talking to your reflection in
    > the mirror? That your whole attitude revolves around telling yourself
    > how great you are and getting others to tell it to you? But James,
    > nobody gives a crap about you and your Google rank.
    >
    > Can't you realise that? In all earnestness, James, can you even fathom
    > that what's important to you isn't important to everyone else? Can you
    > even comprehend that there are people who take neither your nor their
    > own belly-button for the centre of the world?
    >
    > Can't you realise that you're annoying the shit out of everyone with
    > your ClassViewer stuff? That it is utterly pathetic? That if you go on
    > like this the only person you will have left to talk to and who doesn't
    > shout back at you will be your reflection in the mirror?

    Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
    balls?

    So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it. No big deal.

    That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
    pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.

    ___JSH
    JSH, Aug 24, 2008
  8. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 23, 4:55 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > JSH wrote:
    > > Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
    > > curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
    > > really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
    > > held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
    > > it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
    > > 10 per day, on a good day.

    > If I created a tool called "Foobartistic barfoolarum", then I
    > would probably also get pretty high on Google for that term.
    >
    > Class viewer is not a term used by Java developers and the type
    > of software is not used by Java developers.

    That is useful information if true.

    > So the two facts that you are high on Google and low on hits
    > are not contradictions.

    Hey, it's a freaking puzzle to me. Some of you seem to think I'm
    bragging or something, but I've been puzzling about this for THREE
    YEARS.

    I finally just decided to talk about it and see if I could get
    answers.

    So far though, none. Instead I get jealousy. Which I see as idiotic
    as I don't know what the rankings mean myself.

    James Harris
    JSH, Aug 24, 2008
  9. JSH <> wrote:
    > [about Class viewer]

    I had a look at your sourceforge page, and was unclear
    about a few things:
    - why only "public" members?
    (even for the standard class library, protected methods
    could be relevant for the user if it's in a class that's
    designed for being subclassed)
    - It doesn't seem to extract any more information from
    the class, than what can be seen in Javadocs in the
    first place.

    please clarify.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 24, 2008
  10. JSH

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:43:35 -0700 (PDT), JSH <>
    > Google's main trick is to count the number of links to a page from
    > other websites. The more, the higher the ranking. Write useful stuff
    > that other people link to. Google can't see people's bookmarks, but
    > it can see web copies of them.

    > My web pages tends to rank highly. I suspect it is because have small
    > pages that concentrate on one particular thing with some unique
    > vocabulary, and links to other popular related materials. Another
    > reason may be that I have fully verified HTML which won't trip up the
    > spiders.

    > Ironically I have not made any special effort to rank highly.

    You post links to them intently ...

    Arne

    "A new partnership of nations has begun. We stand today at a unique
    and extraordinary moment. The crisis in the Persian Gulf, as grave
    as it is, offers a rare opportunity to move toward an historic
    period of cooperation. Out of these troubled times, our fifth
    objective - a New World Order - can emerge...When we are successful,
    and we will be, we have a real chance at this New World Order,
    an order in which a credible United Nations can use its peacekeeping
    role to fulfill the promise and vision of the United Nations' founders."

    --- George Bush
    September 11, 1990 televised address to a joint session of Congress
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 24, 2008
  11. JSH a écrit :

    > Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
    > balls?
    >
    > So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it. No big deal.
    >
    > That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
    > pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.

    One of the other good things about Usenet is that anyone, including
    people who are not Americans and are not native English speakers, can
    post. Daniele is, for example, a usual male Italian first name.

    JB.

    Jean-Baptiste Nizet, Aug 24, 2008
  12. JSH

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:43:35 -0700 (PDT), JSH <>

    >So then, does all of that deserve a #1 ranking in Google for a search
    >on "Class Viewer"?

    Google's main trick is to count the number of links to a page from
    other websites. The more, the higher the ranking. Write useful stuff
    that other people link to. Google can't see people's bookmarks, but
    it can see web copies of them.

    Google has patented this obvious ranking technique. It is the main
    reason Google is so much better at finding you useful hits near the
    top of the list.

    My web pages tends to rank highly. I suspect it is because have small
    pages that concentrate on one particular thing with some unique
    vocabulary, and links to other popular related materials. Another
    reason may be that I have fully verified HTML which won't trip up the
    spiders. Yet another reason is I update my google sitemap many times
    a day. See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SITEMAP this lowers the
    overhead for Google to spider my website, meaning more frequent
    updates.

    I have google ads too. Google says they give no priority to pages
    with ads, but capitalism demands they do so. see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/google.html#ADSENSE

    Ironically I have not made any special effort to rank highly. I
    suspect google AI detects attempts to artificially jack up ratings and
    penalises such websites, perhaps not right away, but eventually.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Aug 24, 2008
  13. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 24, 3:15 am, Jean-Baptiste Nizet <>
    wrote:
    > JSH a écrit :
    >

    > > Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
    > > balls?

    > > So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it.  No big deal.

    > > That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
    > > pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.

    > One of the other good things about Usenet is that anyone, including
    > people who are not Americans and are not native English speakers, can
    > post. Daniele is, for example, a usual male Italian first name.
    >
    > JB.

    Oh. Now THAT is very useful information. Thanks!

    ___JSH
    JSH, Aug 24, 2008
  14. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 24, 2:03 am, Andreas Leitgeb <>
    wrote:
    > JSH <> wrote:
    > >  [about Class viewer]

    > I had a look at your sourceforge page, and was unclear
    > about a few things:
    >  - why only "public" members?
    >
    >      (even for the standard class library, protected methods
    >       could be relevant for the user if it's in a class that's
    >       designed for being subclassed)

    More of an arbitrary thing where I just went that way. I was taught
    use public classes and stay away from protected, if possible.

    But if I had a user base that was clamoring for that I'd guess I'd do
    it, though individual developers can, of course, simply make the
    change in the code themselves.

    It is an open source product for developers, so I keep thinking that
    people can just make changes to suit their own styles.

    >  - It doesn't seem to extract any more information from
    >      the class, than what can be seen in Javadocs in the
    >      first place.
    >
    > please clarify.

    Yup. It's a quick reference tool. It's not about giving you more info
    than you can get from other sources but about presenting basic class
    information so that it is easy to look over and getting you javadocs
    easily, as in a double-click.

    So I can go in, type "String" and look over every public method that
    has "char" in it because I'm looking for a method that returns chars,
    but am kind of vague on which it is...

    char[] toCharArray()

    Ok, yeah that's it and that's the ONLY public method that returns
    chars in the String class, which I also know from Class Viewer.

    But I'm still not sure it's what I want, so I need javadocs, right?

    So now I just double-click on that result in the Class Viewer window,
    and the program calls Firefox and opens up javadocs, where I have it
    going to Sun's site and I have at the top of my screen:

    toCharArray

    public char[] toCharArray()

    Converts this string to a new character array.

    Returns:
    a newly allocated character array whose length is the length
    of this string and whose contents are initialized to contain the
    character sequence represented by this string.

    The site is

    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#toCharArray()

    built dynamically by the program.

    So it's speed and ease, where now I have all the info I need
    immediately without looking for javadocs, or wondering if maybe there
    is another method that returns chars, and I have that in seconds.

    James Harris
    JSH, Aug 24, 2008
  15. JSH

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:43:35 -0700 (PDT), JSH <>
    > Google's main trick is to count the number of links to a page from
    > other websites. The more, the higher the ranking. Write useful stuff
    > that other people link to. Google can't see people's bookmarks, but
    > it can see web copies of them.

    > My web pages tends to rank highly. I suspect it is because have small
    > pages that concentrate on one particular thing with some unique
    > vocabulary, and links to other popular related materials. Another
    > reason may be that I have fully verified HTML which won't trip up the
    > spiders.

    > Ironically I have not made any special effort to rank highly.

    You post links to them frequently ...

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 24, 2008
  16. JSH

    David Segall Guest

    JSH <> wrote:

    >On Aug 24, 3:15 am, Jean-Baptiste Nizet <>
    >wrote:
    >> JSH a écrit :
    >>

    >> > Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
    >> > balls?

    >> > So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it.  No big deal.

    >> > That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
    >> > pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.

    >> One of the other good things about Usenet is that anyone, including
    >> people who are not Americans and are not native English speakers, can
    >> post. Daniele is, for example, a usual male Italian first name.
    >>
    >> JB.

    >Oh. Now THAT is very useful information. Thanks!

    To you. Anybody else would have put the word into Google and
    discovered it for themselves _before_ sounding off about it.
    David Segall, Aug 24, 2008
  17. On 24/08/2008 12:15, Jean-Baptiste Nizet allegedly wrote:
    > JSH a écrit :
    >>
    >> Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
    >> balls?
    >>
    >> So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it. No big deal.
    >>
    >> That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
    >> pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.
    >>

    > One of the other good things about Usenet is that anyone, including
    > people who are not Americans and are not native English speakers, can
    > post. Daniele is, for example, a usual male Italian first name.

    Thanks for putting that straight, JB. I was too lazy to do it myself.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 24, 2008
  18. JSH

    JSH Guest

    On Aug 24, 8:21 am, JSH <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 2:03 am, Andreas Leitgeb <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > JSH <> wrote:
    > > >  [about Class viewer]

    > > I had a look at your sourceforge page, and was unclear
    > > about a few things:
    > >  - why only "public" members?

    > >      (even for the standard class library, protected methods
    > >       could be relevant for the user if it's in a class that's
    > >       designed for being subclassed)

    > More of an arbitrary thing where I just went that way.  I was taught
    > use public classes and stay away from protected, if possible.
    >
    > But if I had a user base that was clamoring for that I'd guess I'd do
    > it, though individual developers can, of course, simply make the
    > change in the code themselves.
    >
    > It is an open source product for developers, so I keep thinking that
    > people can just make changes to suit their own styles.
    >
    > >  - It doesn't seem to extract any more information from
    > >      the class, than what can be seen in Javadocs in the
    > >      first place.

    > > please clarify.

    > Yup. It's a quick reference tool.  It's not about giving you more info
    > than you can get from other sources but about presenting basic class
    > information so that it is easy to look over and getting you javadocs
    > easily, as in a double-click.
    >
    > So I can go in, type "String" and look over every public method that
    > has "char" in it because I'm looking for a method that returns chars,
    > but am kind of vague on which it is...
    >
    > char[] toCharArray()
    >
    > Ok, yeah that's it and that's the ONLY public method that returns
    > chars in the String class, which I also know from Class Viewer.

    Correction, there is also

    char charAt(int)

    though maybe I could say that was technically correct as it only
    returns a char.

    But it was just a mistake as it was in the top of the list returned by
    Class Viewer when I did a search on "char" but I just didn't notice it
    when I was doing the post.

    Double-clicking on it calls Firefox to open the following URL:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#charAt(int)

    James Harris
    JSH, Aug 24, 2008
  19. JSH

    Mark Murray Guest

    JSH wrote:
    > Oh. Now THAT is very useful information. Thanks!

    While the apology is heartening, the situation you are apologetic about
    is rather representative of your approach. You have no useful
    self-criticism feedback loop, useful for finding this sort of error
    BEFORE you act on it. Thus, you are destined to repeat this error.

    You will make a hasty judgement, you will assume it is correct, you will
    make a fool of yourself as a result. You will not learn by this.

    How do I know this? because you have done it HUNDREDS of times.

    What is unusual in this case is how close you came to making this one an
    actual apology.

    Mark Murray, Aug 24, 2008
  20. On 24/08/2008 22:23, Mark Murray allegedly wrote:
    > JSH wrote:
    >> Oh. Now THAT is very useful information. Thanks!

    > While the apology is heartening, the situation you are apologetic about
    > is rather representative of your approach. You have no useful
    > self-criticism feedback loop, useful for finding this sort of error
    > BEFORE you act on it. Thus, you are destined to repeat this error.
    >
    > You will make a hasty judgement, you will assume it is correct, you will
    > make a fool of yourself as a result. You will not learn by this.
    >
    > How do I know this? because you have done it HUNDREDS of times.
    >
    > What is unusual in this case is how close you came to making this one an
    > actual apology.

    Sigh. This is already gone far beyond being even remotely on-topic, and
    I'd be glad if it could end here.

    The specific mistake James made is one I'd wager four out of five
    English speakers would make and, as far as I can tell, have made. I
    can't say it really bothers me that much, and surely it doesn't warrant
    an apology. Meanwhile, bashing him for it and trying to deduce broader
    character traits from it seems to me like grasping at straws just to
    land a punch. But if you're that desperate to flame him, there surely
    are more adequate aspects of his demeanour to start with.

    HOWEVER, please note that my efforts are directed towards getting JSH,
    ideally, to take his lucubrations somewhere they will be welcomed, or,
    barring that, to get him to remain at least slightly on-topic -- say
    about the maths stuff; and consequently to get rid of all this idle
    talk, that about his Google rank as much as that about his person. While
    I am of course powerless to enforce that policy, I would at least demand
    of everyone to put a lid on that particular bit of idle talk sparked off
    directly by my origins. TIA.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 25, 2008