Classes with System.ComponentModel.DataObject not visible in ReportBuilder Data Sources

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Crazy Cat, Aug 12, 2009.

  1. Crazy Cat

    Crazy Cat Guest

    I'm wondering if this is a feature or a bug in VS 2005 (Haven't
    checked it in 2008) --

    If you decorate a class with the System.ComponentModel.DataObject
    attribute it
    doesn't appear in the list of Data Sources for the Report Builder. I
    pulled my
    hair out for quite a while when dealing with this recently -- I had a
    class that I needed
    to consume in the Report Builder but it just did not appear in the
    Report Builder list of Data Sources. Once I commented out the
    System.ComponentModel.DataObject (I was also
    using it as a data layer object) the class was visible in the Report
    Builder.

    Anyone notice this -- I haven't seen it documented anywhere on the
    web.

    Thanks,

    Crazy

    Crazy Cat, Aug 12, 2009

  2. Crazy Cat

    Crazy Cat Guest

    Re: Classes with System.ComponentModel.DataObject not visible inReport Builder Data Sources

    On Aug 12, 2:08 pm, Crazy Cat <> wrote:
    > I'm wondering if this is a feature or a bug in VS 2005 (Haven't
    > checked it in 2008) --
    >
    > If you decorate a class with the System.ComponentModel.DataObject
    > attribute it
    > doesn't appear in the list of Data Sources for the Report Builder. I
    > pulled my
    > hair out for quite a while when dealing with this recently --  I had a
    > class that I needed
    > to consume in the Report Builder but it just did not appear in the
    > Report Builder list of Data Sources. Once I commented out the
    > System.ComponentModel.DataObject (I was also
    > using it as a data layer object) the class was visible in the Report
    > Builder.
    >
    > Anyone notice this -- I haven't seen it documented anywhere on the
    > web.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Crazy

    Sorry to be replying to myself. I still don't know why
    installvstemplates cleared out my templates, but I do know why
    my MVC template was not showing up -- I forgot to set the target to
    ASP.NET 3.5. Now the MVC Project Template shows up fine.

    Crazy Cat, Aug 26, 2009