Classic ASP Debugging with VS.NET installed

Velvet

Can someone tell me to what process I need to attach to be able to step
through my classic ASP code in VS.net 2003. I'm working on an XP box with
IIS installed. I also have VS.net 2005 (The final, never installed beta)
installed on this box if it makes a difference (I did not install VS
Development Web Server as I'm already using the XP web server).

I've seen that I need to attach to the native IIS engine, but I don't know
what it's called for XP Pro's version of it.

I still have Interdev installed but I have aspx pages and project in that
virtual web, so I'm assuming that I cannot use it to attach to the ASP,
since I believe it is no longer a FrontPage web. It was never a ASP virtual
web but to save a little time I wanted to use the classic ASP pages from
another one of our applications. It's turning out to be not so easy as I
need to add a field to one of the tables and cannot step through the code.

Thanks in advance!
Velvet

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Velvet,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the classic ASP page debugging question you mentioned, based
on my experience, this is possible in VS.NET 2003 ide. However, due to the
difference from classic ASP and asp.net or other strong code based
application, (ASP is script based server application , so its debugging is
script debugging... while other application is strong code which has symbol
with the compiled native code image....). So when doing script debugging,
the IDE will need to do some initialization operation for supporting script
debugging while it is not done when we manually attach the ASP
component(asp.dll)'s host process (dllhost.exe... or w3wp on IIS6)..

If you do need to debug ASP page in VS.NET 2003 IDE, you can just set the
Eable ASP debugging in the asp.net project's properties to true and make
sure the process idenitity in IIS has the sufficient permission. After
that, just hit F5 to debug the asp page.....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Velvet" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Classic ASP Debugging with VS.NET installed
| Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:39:22 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Can someone tell me to what process I need to attach to be able to step
| through my classic ASP code in VS.net 2003. I'm working on an XP box
with
| IIS installed. I also have VS.net 2005 (The final, never installed beta)
| installed on this box if it makes a difference (I did not install VS
| Development Web Server as I'm already using the XP web server).
|
| I've seen that I need to attach to the native IIS engine, but I don't
know
| what it's called for XP Pro's version of it.
|
| I still have Interdev installed but I have aspx pages and project in that
| virtual web, so I'm assuming that I cannot use it to attach to the ASP,
| since I believe it is no longer a FrontPage web. It was never a ASP
virtual
| web but to save a little time I wanted to use the classic ASP pages from
| another one of our applications. It's turning out to be not so easy as I
| need to add a field to one of the tables and cannot step through the code.
|
| Thanks in advance!
| Velvet

Learner

HI Steven,
I have the same kind of problem. I too have a similar situation but
don' thave visual interdev to debug my classic ASP pages. I have visual
studio.net 2003 and i have created a VB project and attached all of my
files(downloaded from VSS) now i have a solution file too. I have
enabled ASP debugging on the project properties wizard and hit F5 but
it still complaining about
"Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debugging on the
webserver. The project is not configured to be debugged"

Any clue on how to resolve this issue?
thanks
-L

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Learner,

There is actually no ASP project in VS2003, only asp.net project. So your
asp pages should be put in an ASP.NET project, then make sure both ASP
debugging and ASP.NET debugging is enabled. After that, try again to see
whether it works or get any other errors(e.g secuirty related....)
Also, you can have a look at the article Daniel has provideded:

http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/18204

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Learner" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Re: Classic ASP Debugging with VS.NET installed
| Date: 30 Nov 2005 10:16:04 -0800
|
| HI Steven,
| I have the same kind of problem. I too have a similar situation but
| don' thave visual interdev to debug my classic ASP pages. I have visual
| studio.net 2003 and i have created a VB project and attached all of my
| files(downloaded from VSS) now i have a solution file too. I have
| enabled ASP debugging on the project properties wizard and hit F5 but
| it still complaining about
| "Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debugging on the
| webserver. The project is not configured to be debugged"
|
| Any clue on how to resolve this issue?
| thanks
| -L
| Steven Cheng[MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi Velvet,
| >
| > Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > Regarding on the classic ASP page debugging question you mentioned,
based
| > on my experience, this is possible in VS.NET 2003 ide. However, due to
the
| > difference from classic ASP and asp.net or other strong code based
| > application, (ASP is script based server application , so its debugging
is
| > script debugging... while other application is strong code which has
symbol
| > with the compiled native code image....). So when doing script
debugging,
| > the IDE will need to do some initialization operation for supporting
script
| > debugging while it is not done when we manually attach the ASP
| > component(asp.dll)'s host process (dllhost.exe... or w3wp on IIS6)..
| >
| > If you do need to debug ASP page in VS.NET 2003 IDE, you can just set
the
| > Eable ASP debugging in the asp.net project's properties to true and make
| > sure the process idenitity in IIS has the sufficient permission. After
| > that, just hit F5 to debug the asp page.....
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Velvet" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Classic ASP Debugging with VS.NET installed
| > | Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:39:22 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Can someone tell me to what process I need to attach to be able to
step
| > | through my classic ASP code in VS.net 2003. I'm working on an XP box
| > with
| > | IIS installed. I also have VS.net 2005 (The final, never installed
beta)
| > | installed on this box if it makes a difference (I did not install VS
| > | Development Web Server as I'm already using the XP web server).
| > |
| > | I've seen that I need to attach to the native IIS engine, but I don't
| > know
| > | what it's called for XP Pro's version of it.
| > |
| > | I still have Interdev installed but I have aspx pages and project in
that
| > | virtual web, so I'm assuming that I cannot use it to attach to the
ASP,
| > | since I believe it is no longer a FrontPage web. It was never a ASP
| > virtual
| > | web but to save a little time I wanted to use the classic ASP pages
from
| > | another one of our applications. It's turning out to be not so easy
as I
| > | need to add a field to one of the tables and cannot step through the
code.
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance!
| > | Velvet