Classic ASP Debugging with VS.NET installed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Velvet, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Can someone tell me to what process I need to attach to be able to step
    through my classic ASP code in VS.net 2003. I'm working on an XP box with
    IIS installed. I also have VS.net 2005 (The final, never installed beta)
    installed on this box if it makes a difference (I did not install VS
    Development Web Server as I'm already using the XP web server).

    I've seen that I need to attach to the native IIS engine, but I don't know
    what it's called for XP Pro's version of it.

    I still have Interdev installed but I have aspx pages and project in that
    virtual web, so I'm assuming that I cannot use it to attach to the ASP,
    since I believe it is no longer a FrontPage web. It was never a ASP virtual
    web but to save a little time I wanted to use the classic ASP pages from
    another one of our applications. It's turning out to be not so easy as I
    need to add a field to one of the tables and cannot step through the code.

    Thanks in advance!
    Velvet

    Velvet, Nov 30, 2005

  2. http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/18204

    --
    Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)
    http://www.lennybacon.com

    Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\), Nov 30, 2005

  3. Hi Velvet,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    Regarding on the classic ASP page debugging question you mentioned, based
    on my experience, this is possible in VS.NET 2003 ide. However, due to the
    difference from classic ASP and asp.net or other strong code based
    application, (ASP is script based server application , so its debugging is
    script debugging... while other application is strong code which has symbol
    with the compiled native code image....). So when doing script debugging,
    the IDE will need to do some initialization operation for supporting script
    debugging while it is not done when we manually attach the ASP
    component(asp.dll)'s host process (dllhost.exe... or w3wp on IIS6)..

    If you do need to debug ASP page in VS.NET 2003 IDE, you can just set the
    Eable ASP debugging in the asp.net project's properties to true and make
    sure the process idenitity in IIS has the sufficient permission. After
    that, just hit F5 to debug the asp page.....

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 30, 2005
  4. Velvet

    Learner Guest

    HI Steven,
    I have the same kind of problem. I too have a similar situation but
    don' thave visual interdev to debug my classic ASP pages. I have visual
    studio.net 2003 and i have created a VB project and attached all of my
    files(downloaded from VSS) now i have a solution file too. I have
    enabled ASP debugging on the project properties wizard and hit F5 but
    it still complaining about
    "Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debugging on the
    webserver. The project is not configured to be debugged"

    Any clue on how to resolve this issue?
    thanks
    -L

    Learner, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Thank you so much!!!! this helped a bunch!

    Velvet, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Hi Learner,

    There is actually no ASP project in VS2003, only asp.net project. So your
    asp pages should be put in an ASP.NET project, then make sure both ASP
    debugging and ASP.NET debugging is enabled. After that, try again to see
    whether it works or get any other errors(e.g secuirty related....)
    Also, you can have a look at the article Daniel has provideded:

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 1, 2005