Classic ASP inside a dot net portal - Urgent

talkingwall

Hi - I was hired to trouble shoot ASP 3.0 report performance for a
company in Scottsdale. When I got here I discovered that the classic
asp 3.0 reports are actually running in an IFrame embedded in a dot net
nuke ( http://www.dotnetnuke.com )page.

I cannot see any evidence where programming has been done to facilitate
co-managed sessions between .net and classic asp and I believe
something is required.

While I've been able to solve a couple of obvious problems, we still
have some reports that will not cooperate. Mainly, closing the browser
will often result in orphaned SPIDs on the SQL Server that are
executing a stored procedure. The call to the stored proc is ado 2.8
(not ado.net) via the ASP running in the IFrame.

Is there anyone here with the expertise that can tell me fairly
conclusively that running asp 3.0 inside a .net portal is going to
cause similar problems?

Many thanks

Mark

Curt_C [MVP]

talkingwall said:
I cannot see any evidence where programming has been done to facilitate
co-managed sessions between .net and classic asp and I believe
something is required.

They are independant data. If you want to share info between the two you
will need to pass it in the QueryString, DB, etc.. Session isnt going to
get you what you are looking for, sadly

talkingwall

Thanks Curt, what I'm wondering is whether running the ASP 3.0 inside
of the .net portal is creating a memory leak, i.e., when the browser is
closed the .net session is cleaning up but the 3.0 session is not.

Curt_C [MVP]

talkingwall said:
Thanks Curt, what I'm wondering is whether running the ASP 3.0 inside
of the .net portal is creating a memory leak, i.e., when the browser is
closed the .net session is cleaning up but the 3.0 session is not.

You will have to explictly clean up the 3.0 stuff, like you always have.
The .NET wont take care of it for you.

talkingwall

Well, I think there is a little more to it because I tried placing
cleanup code in the Session_OnEnd event in the global.asa file but it
doesn't fire. After a little more testing I discovered that global.asa
is being used at all!