Classic ASP String Manipulation - NOT .net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by James, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Good Evening,

    I would like to insert a 5 letter word into a 100 letter string, but only 1
    letter at a time, and each letter separated by 10 characters!!! :) Using
    Alpha characters only, no numbers or punctuation in either string. The
    first letter needs to use the DAY OF THE MONTH number as its insertion
    point...

    So the string HELLO would be inserted on the 15th day of the month as
    follows:

    H inserted after character 14 of the 100 letter string
    E inserted after character 24 of the 100 letter string
    L inserted after character 34 of the 100 letter string
    L inserted after character 44 of the 100 letter string
    O inserted after character 54 of the 100 letter string

    The final string will therefore be 105 characters in length! It's to help
    design a children's maze puzzle on a fun and games web site.

    Thanks for your time,

    James.
    (PS - could not find any classic ASP groups, sorry)
    James, Feb 15, 2006

  2. James

    Darren Kopp Guest

    I don't remember a whole lot about ASP... but i would guess something
    with the following pseudocode would work

    1. create character array of 105 characters
    1.1 initialize array of characters to all spaces (' ')
    2. get what day of month today is (ie 15, or 10, or 8)
    3. chararray[dayofmonth] = 'h'
    4. chararray[dayofmonth+10] = 'e'
    5. chararray[dayofmonth+20] = 'l'
    6. chararray[dayofmonth+30] = 'l'
    7. chararray[dayofmonth+40] = 'o'

    i think vb addresses arrays with () notation (so chararray(dayofmonth)
    = 'h'), and dayofmonth would be an integer value with whatever the
    current day is.

    Hope this helps you get started, if you need more help e-mail me at
    darrenkopp [at] gmail [dot] com and i will dig into some ol' ASP and
    refresh my brain.

    -Darren Kopp
    http://blog.secudocs.com
    Darren Kopp, Feb 15, 2006

  3. re:
    > (PS - could not find any classic ASP groups, sorry)

    Try posting to microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 15, 2006
  4. James wrote:
    > Good Evening,
    >
    > I would like to insert a 5 letter word into a 100 letter string, but
    > only 1 letter at a time, and each letter separated by 10
    > characters!!! :) Using Alpha characters only, no numbers or
    > punctuation in either string. The first letter needs to use the DAY
    > OF THE MONTH number as its insertion point...
    >
    > So the string HELLO would be inserted on the 15th day of the month as
    > follows:
    >
    > H inserted after character 14 of the 100 letter string
    > E inserted after character 24 of the 100 letter string

    Should this be "character 24" of the original 100 letter string?
    Or character 24 of the new string formed in step 1?
    I will assume the former

    <snip>
    > (PS - could not find any classic ASP groups, sorry)

    As Juan said: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

    Something like this:

    <%
    dim s, j,k
    for k = 0 to 9
    for j = 1 to 9
    s = s & j
    next
    s = s & "0"
    next
    Response.Write s & "<BR>"

    response.write newstring("HELLO", s)

    function newstring(insert, bigstring)
    dim start, i, tmp, offset
    start=day(date)
    tmp=left(bigstring,(start-1))
    bigstring = mid(bigstring,start)
    for i = 1 to len(insert)-1
    offset=10 * (i - 1)
    tmp= tmp & mid(insert,i,1) & _
    left(bigstring,9)
    bigstring = mid(bigstring,10)
    next
    newstring = tmp & bigstring
    end function
    %>

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 15, 2006
  5. Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > James wrote:
    >> Good Evening,
    >>
    >> I would like to insert a 5 letter word into a 100 letter string, but
    >> only 1 letter at a time, and each letter separated by 10
    >> characters!!! :) Using Alpha characters only, no numbers or
    >> punctuation in either string. The first letter needs to use the DAY
    >> OF THE MONTH number as its insertion point...
    >>
    >> So the string HELLO would be inserted on the 15th day of the month as
    >> follows:
    >>
    >> H inserted after character 14 of the 100 letter string
    >> E inserted after character 24 of the 100 letter string

    > Should this be "character 24" of the original 100 letter string?
    > Or character 24 of the new string formed in step 1?
    > I will assume the former
    >
    > <snip>

    Since it uses an array, this may perform better:
    <%
    dim s, j,k
    for k = 0 to 9
    for j = 1 to 9
    s = s & j
    next
    s = s & "0"
    next
    Response.Write s & "<BR>"

    response.write InsString("HELLO", s)

    function InsString(insert,byval bigstring)
    dim arString(), i
    redim arString(2*len(insert))
    for i = 1 to len(insert)
    arString(2*i-1)=mid(insert,i,1)
    next
    dim start, offset
    start=day(date)
    arString(0)= left(bigstring,start-1)
    offset = 0
    for i = 2 to ubound(arString) - 2 step 2
    offset = 9*i\2 - 9
    arString(i) = mid(bigstring,start+offset,9)
    next
    arString(ubound(arString)) = mid(bigstring,start+offset +9)
    InsString=join(arString,"")
    end function
    %>

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 15, 2006
  6. James

    Darren Kopp Guest

    I'm glad i just wrote some pseudocode :D... though i'm still not sure
    if my pseudocode is what you did or not... it's been a long day.

    -darren
    Darren Kopp, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Darren Kopp wrote:
    > I'm glad i just wrote some pseudocode :D... though i'm still not sure
    > if my pseudocode is what you did or not... it's been a long day.

    No, it's a little different, but your post did give me the idea.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 16, 2006