Classic ASP using IIS7 - Error 500

Ryan Ritten

Hey all,

I am with godaddy for webhosting right now. The have me using IIS7.
When I run my ASP page I get the error :

Error 500 :There is a problem with the resource you are looking for,
and it cannot be displayed.

Basically, there is an error in my code, however, it doesn't tell me
the line number the error was found on. After searching the web I
found out how to turn on the more detailed error reporting... but you
have to do it on the webserver. I don't have access to the webserver.

After spending allot of time chatting with godaddy, they claim I can
turn this on in the web.config file. I know this can be turn on for
ASP.NET in the web.config file... but as far as I know, not classic
asp.

Am I wrong? Is godaddy right? How do i turn on error line numbers?

Thanks so much,
Ryan Ritten

Phillip Windell

In the Web Browser on the machine you are sitting at:

Internet Options-->Advanced Tab---> "uncheck" the box for "Show friendly
HTTP error messages"

You don't want "friendly" error messages. "Friendly" means "dumbed down".

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Phillip Windell

There is no "web config" file or anything similar in ASP Classic. You have
to write your error handling abilites directly into the ASP page you are
working with. In some cases you might be able to do it with an Include file
if the code is "reusable" across pages.

Most of the error trapping involves "Response.write" with certain variables
and using "Response.end" to create break points.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Technet Library
ISA2004
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10).aspx
ISA2006
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10).aspx

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx

Ryan Ritten

Thanks for your replies.

I already had the "Show friendly HTTP error messages" unchecked. As
for writing my own error messages, it's not possible when the page has
an error. if the page has an error on it, it won't return anything to
your brower except the standard "500 error page". So any
document.writes will be ignored.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ryan said:
Thanks for your replies.

I already had the "Show friendly HTTP error messages" unchecked.

Then the website is configured to send friendly messages. Tell godaddy to
look again. In IIS6, it would be a matter of right-clicking the site's
folder in IIS Mgr, clicking the Configuration button in the "Application
Settings" section of the Directory tab, and clicking into the Debugging tab
to find the "Send detailed error messages to client" radio button. I don't
have IIS7 but I can't imagine the steps would be that different.
As
for writing my own error messages, it's not possible when the page has
an error. if the page has an error on it, it won't return anything to
your brower except the standard "500 error page". So any
document.writes will be ignored.
Not if you use "on error resume next" in your vbscript. Haven't you learned
how to handle errors in vbscript? Basically it's just a matter of:

'turn error-handling on:
on error resume next
<statement that might raise an error>
'check if error occurred
if err<>0 then
'error occurred - handle it - I suggest logging it in a file
'and sending a generic "error occurred" message to
'the client to avoid aiding hackers - however, for the
'sake of simplicity:
response.write err.description
response.end
end if
'turn off error handling - not a good idea to leave it on:
on error goto 0

You also might want to give this a read:

Bob Milutinovic

Ryan Ritten said:
Hey all,

I am with godaddy for webhosting right now.

My commiserations.

It shouldn't be too difficult for you to find an alternative though. By
taking your business away from GoDaddy you'll not only be getting yourself
better hosting, you'll also be doing business with a company with more
integrity (AFAIK, GoDaddy is still the #1 choice among spammers & scammers)

- Bob.