Classic Computer Science Books

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stu, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Stu

    Stu Guest

    I wanted to start a thread discussion on classic computer science
    texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime. I am
    always on the lookout to acquire books that last beyond the subject
    matter where the concepts transcends the era in which it was initially
    conceived and implemented. I am an avid collector of books and have an
    collected several out of print gems or not available now in hardbacks
    over the years as I enjoy collecting these texts for my library.

    For example every year I take a week and re-read The C Programming
    Language (Kernighan, Ritchie) as it's the gold standard to simply well
    written texts. It's also a very good read.

    I also feel The UNIX Programming Environment also by Kernighan (and
    Pike) is also a classic worthy to mention.

    It doesn't have to be completely programming related. It could also
    have been the most influential book on mathematics, writing, or
    sciences, or database concepts.

    What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
    all these years? The kind of books that you would love to be
    altruistic and loan to your colleague or friend but fear it wont ever
    get returned?

    ~Stu
    Stu, Jun 9, 2011

  2. Stu

    Josh Cheek Guest

    On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Stu <> wrote:

    > I wanted to start a thread discussion on classic computer science
    > texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime. I am
    > always on the lookout to acquire books that last beyond the subject
    > matter where the concepts transcends the era in which it was initially
    > conceived and implemented. I am an avid collector of books and have an
    > collected several out of print gems or not available now in hardbacks
    > over the years as I enjoy collecting these texts for my library.

    Hmm, I'm going the opposite direction. I think it will be all PDF from here
    on out (annoyingly, publishers haven't embraced this yet). But then again, I
    wonder if technical books will even be competitive. Things change so fast
    that books are almost stale by the time they're published. At the beginning
    of the summer I went through all my books, and realized I had some that I
    had bought within the last year or two but not gotten to read yet, but they
    were already obsolete.

    > For example every year I take a week and re-read The C Programming
    > Language (Kernighan, Ritchie) as it's the gold standard to simply well
    > written texts. It's also a very good read.

    o_O That was actually my first book, I bought it because it was the shortest
    C book at Barnes and Noble. My opinion of it wasn't very high at that time.
    I felt like there was some context or tacit information that would have
    prevented me from getting past even the first chapter if I hadn't been able
    to figure it out. Maybe I would like it more now, but I haven't felt
    compelled to re-read it.

    > What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
    > all these years? The kind of books that you would love to be
    > altruistic and loan to your colleague or friend but fear it wont ever
    > get returned?

    I liked The Pragmatic Programmer, but was probably still too novice to
    appreciate most of it at the time I read it. Still, it was pretty
    accessible, and very motivating. It makes you want to write good code.

    I like Pragmatic Thinking and Learning, I actually reread the last 70 pages
    a few days ago, and decided to set up a personal wiki as a result. It's
    another motivating book. Makes you want to be productive, get shit done,
    organize your life, encourage your creative side (R-brain in the book). I
    got a lot of takeaways from this book, and even almost a year later, still
    do (intermittently) some of the things they talk about in it. It also makes
    a point to give you a mental model for your brain. And I think it gets
    better as you go.

    Peopleware, I read this b/c Joel Spolsky always talks about it. I found it
    enlightening and encouraging. It's a short read, each chapter is pretty self
    contained. I read about half of it one night instead of studying for
    Chemistry :p It's about working together, managing teams, developing
    software. A lot of attention is paid to environment, things like noise,
    concentration, flow, lighting, furniture, etc. A lot about what makes a good
    team, and how to avoid killing an otherwise good team. A lot of attention
    paid to valuing people.

    Rework, if you ever want to start a business. Even if not, there's a lot of
    generalizable advice in it. I've probably read it three or four times now,
    because each chapter is like a page long, and you can read the whole thing
    in a car ride on the way to your next Ruby conference. I just toss it in my
    bag, then when I'm waiting for an appointment, gives me something to do
    while I wait. You can drop in anywhere and just go with it, literally.

    When I took Java in school, I loved Absolute Java. At that time, it was a
    perfect fit for me, and I learned so much from that book. I thought I'd keep
    it for ever, but when I went through my books last month, I realized I'm
    beyond it now, and it doesn't have anything for me any more, so I gave it to
    the DAV. But I still think its a great starter book, it helped me understand
    things like arrays and memory, and really grounded a lot of concepts for me.

    I've read quite a few Ruby books, but none of them have really inspired me.
    Eloquent Ruby might have if I'd read it two years ago (also had to deal with
    DRM infested bullshit when I tried to buy the PDF from the publisher). The
    RSpec book probably came the closest, but I didn't get a chance to finish it
    because school started up again, I'm hoping to go through it again this
    summer. The Pickaxe looks like it has a lot of great info in it, but I just
    can't bring myself to sit down with a 1000 page book.

    And lastly, Talion: Revenant, the only fiction book I like. I've read it
    maybe 6 times, and try to loan it out to all my friends who read fiction
    whenever I can. It's fantasy, so elves and magic and trolls and such. But it
    doesn't drag you along an "epic journey" like most fantasy books in their
    quest to copy Lord of the Rings. Instead, it tells two stories of the same
    character, interleaving them with each chapter. The individual stories are
    imagination candy, and I think each chapter gets better than the chapter
    before it. But it also has strong character development, which really is
    what made the biggest difference for me in the end.
    Josh Cheek, Jun 10, 2011

  3. Stu

    Stu Guest

    Thank you for the responses. I look forward to reading others.

    In effort to make a quick point about the K&R C book I do agree it is
    terse. I also agree it's more a reference for a seasoned C programmer
    than tutorial for an absolute beginner. If you remove the language in
    context and simply read the prose it has to be one of the most well
    written efforts to distill the authors knowledge and experience on the
    subject of programming to the reader.

    I am interested in books that do just that.

    Since some Ruby books have been mentioned

    If I was on a desert island and could take one ruby book with me The
    Ruby Programming Language by Matsumoto/Flanagan would be what I would
    pick. I have enjoyed reading Metaprogramming Ruby as well but Matz's
    book seems to still have the longevity value.

    I tend to enjoy reading Stroustrup's book on language creation.
    Stroustrup tends to be a well skilled technical writer. I have in my
    queue to read Meyers C++ books and Crockford's Javascript: The Good
    Parts.

    If a great book is in digital form only I'm all ears. I also read pdf
    and web only books. In some cases to pre-view it for my library and
    ultimately buy the print version if I feel it's worth owning. I read
    the java version of 'How To Think Like A Computer Scientist' last year
    solely off the pdf available drm free online. I plan to eventually
    read the python and c++ version under the same title as those books
    are pedagogical in lesson and theory.

    So anyone responding to this thread. Please don't feel the need to
    omit e-book or lulu DIY published books or even a well written web
    based resource or article. Though I am interested in books that mainly
    illuminate concepts I would be interested in hearing about the
    tutorials where you may have had a massive ah-ha moment where
    everything that seemed so difficult before or obfuscated became
    simple. Books or literature that changed the way you programmed from
    that point forward.
    Stu, Jun 10, 2011
  4. Probably obligatory, but The Mythical Man-Month was a pivotal point for my =
    education.
    --
    Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my b=
    revity.

    =

    Kristofer M White, Jun 10, 2011
  5. Stu

    Avdi Grimm Guest

    I always plug Code Complete. The advice on solid code construction in
    that book never goes out of style.

    Micheal Feather's "Working Effectively with Legacy Code" is the other
    one I recommend all the time. Definitely one of those "why couldn't I
    have had this book years ago?!" books.

    --
    Avdi Grimm
    http://avdi.org
    Avdi Grimm, Jun 10, 2011
  6. On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Stu <> wrote:

    > What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
    > all these years? The kind of books that you would love to be
    > altruistic and loan to your colleague or friend but fear it wont ever
    > get returned?

    I don't fear not getting books back but apart from that:

    Object Oriented Software Construction
    Bertrand Meyer
    http://docs.eiffel.com/book/method/object-oriented-software-construction-2nd-edition

    Denkfallen und Programmierfehler (in German)
    Timm Grams
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/3540520392

    and maybe also

    Mastering Regular Expressions
    Jeffrey E.F. Friedl
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528126/

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
    Robert Klemme, Jun 10, 2011
  7. On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Stu <> wrote:
    > What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
    > all these years?

    This is one book I've really enjoyed:

    Clean Code
    by Robert C. Martin

    I has made think about code in a different (good) way and has given
    the reasons and language to describe code I see and think it's bad,
    and also the tools to make it better (this one and also Refactoring,
    by Martin Fowler).

    Jesus.
    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Jun 10, 2011
  8. K&R and The Mythical Man Month have already been mentioned. I am
    personally deeply sentimental about Smalltalk/V DOS from Digitalk: My
    single greatest programming epiphany.
    Albert Wagner, Jun 10, 2011
  9. On 10.06.2011 00:18, Stu wrote:
    > texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime.

    The Deadline, Tom DeMarco; "A Novel About Project Management"

    Definitely changed my live and perception of many things about software
    development.

    I find CS books usually not that entertaining to read due there dry
    technical nature (don't understand this wrongly, I love 'em but they
    serve me more as a reference), but this one I slung down like nothing.

    - Markus
    Markus Fischer, Jun 10, 2011
  10. On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Robert Klemme
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Stu <> wrote:
    >
    > > What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
    > > all these years? The kind of books that you would love to be
    > > altruistic and loan to your colleague or friend but fear it wont ever
    > > get returned?

    > I don't fear not getting books back but apart from that:
    >
    > Object Oriented Software Construction
    > Bertrand Meyer
    > http://docs.eiffel.com/book/method/object-oriented-software-construction-2nd-edition

    At this place in the priority list I forgot:

    The Mythical Man-Month
    Fred Brooks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

    Peopleware
    Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peopleware:_Productive_Projects_and_Teams

    > Denkfallen und Programmierfehler (in German)
    > Timm Grams
    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/3540520392
    >
    > and maybe also
    >
    > Mastering Regular Expressions
    > Jeffrey E.F. Friedl
    > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528126/

    Cheers

    Robert Klemme, Jun 10, 2011
  11. Stu

    Mike Stok Guest

    Mike Stok, Jun 10, 2011
  12. Stu

    Ruby Student Guest

    Well, I go back to the days when the series: "The Art of Computer
    Programming" by Donald E. Knuth, was the standard and mandatory on my
    school!
    That was back on the mid to late '70s.

    --
    Ruby Student
    Ruby Student, Jun 10, 2011
  13. I've been a software consultant for over 30 years and am still working at
    it...just finished an assignment at a 'big-box' store. Here is my list:
    RDBMS [Relational Database Management Systems]:
    "The Relational Model for Database Management, Version 2" by E.F. Codd
    "An Introduction to Database Systems, Volumes 1 and 2" by C.J. Date
    "Relational Database Selected Writings" by C.J. Date
    "A Guide to DB2" by C.J. Date and Colin J. White
    "DB2 Design & Development Guide" by Gabrielle Wiorkowski and David Kull
    "Principles of Database Systems" by Jeffry D. Ullman
    "Relational Databases" by Chao-Chih Yang
    "The Theory of Relational Databases" by David Maier
    "Database System Concepts" by Henry F. Korth and Abraham Silberschatz
    FP [Functional Programming]:
    "Programming in Haskell" by Graham Hutton
    "Learn You a Haskell for Great Good, A Beginner's Guide" by Miran Lipovaca
    "Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists" by Benjamin C. Pierce
    OO [Object Oriented] :
    "Object Technology" by David A. Taylor
    "The Object Primer, Agile Model-Driven Development with UML 2.0" by Scott
    W. Ambler
    "Object-Oriented Software Construction" by Bertrand Meyer
    Logic:
    "Prolog Programming in Depth" by Micales A. Covington, Donald Nute and
    Andre Vellino
    "The Schemer's Guide" by Iain Ferguson witrh Edwared Martin and Burt
    Kaufman
    "Logic" by Patrick J. Hurley
    "Logic, Sets & Numbers" by Roethel/Weinstein/Foley
    "Introduction to Logic" by Patrick Suppes
    "Programming in Prolog" by W.F. Cloksin and C.S. Mellish
    "Introduction to Logic, Predicate Logic" by Howard Pospesel
    "Logic for Mathmeticians" by A.G. Hamilton
    "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Alonzo Church
    "Symbolic Logic - Game of Logic" by Lewis Carroll [yes, he wrote "Alice in
    Wonderland"]
    "Sets, Logic and Axiomatic Theories" by Robert R. Stoll
    "Logic, Algebra and Databases" by Peter Gray
    Scripting Languages:
    "Programming Perl" by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen & Randal L. Schwartz
    "Programming Ruby, The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide" aka "The Pickaxe
    Book" by Dave Thomas with Chad Fowler and Andy Hunt
    "Agile Web Development with Rails" by Sam Ruby, Dave Thomas and David
    Heinemeier Hansson, etal
    "Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial" by Michael Hartl

    My favorite language is Haskell - but I couldn't get it to 'go' with TCL or
    on the Web...perhaps, I gave up on it a little too soon - it I were a bit
    younger, I probably would have continued on with it...I do feel some regret
    in leaving it...The hardest part of FP is learning Category Theory - I gave
    a reference to it, but it too 'defeated me' - but supposedly, you don't need
    to know it in order to do FP. I'm working with Ruby and Rails now...but I
    may switch to F# and LINQ [and MS/Visual Studio and MS/SQL Server]...I like
    'Ruby On Rails 3 Tutorial' - I purchased the book and the screencasts that
    go along with it and am using a Mac [the screencast is a bit pricey though,
    about $100]. There is an O'Reilly book on F# but I haven't read it yet...my
    first impression of the F# syntax was a bit disappointing...

    I hope this helps, good luck...
    Pat

    Patrick Lynch, Jun 10, 2011
  14. ...you'll be please to know that the 'boxed set' of all four volumes of "The
    Art of Computer Programming" is still being sold on Amazon...

    Patrick Lynch, Jun 10, 2011
  15. Stu

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jun 9, 2011, at 15:18 , Stu wrote:

    > I wanted to start a thread discussion on classic computer science
    > texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime. I am
    > always on the lookout to acquire books that last beyond the subject
    > matter where the concepts transcends the era in which it was initially
    > conceived and implemented. I am an avid collector of books and have an
    > collected several out of print gems or not available now in hardbacks
    > over the years as I enjoy collecting these texts for my library.
    >=20
    > For example every year I take a week and re-read The C Programming
    > Language (Kernighan, Ritchie) as it's the gold standard to simply well
    > written texts. It's also a very good read.

    I like this category: what book(s) do you reread every year.

    My annual reread book is The School of Niklaus Wirth: The Art of =
    Simplicity

    Others I love:

    Compiler Construction, Wirth
    Effective TCP/IP Programming: 44 Tips to Improve Your Network Programs
    C Programming Language
    The Annotated C++ Reference Manual (first and last good book on C++, =
    besides meyers)
    Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
    The Little Schemer, The Seasoned Schemer, (and probably Reasoned =
    Schemer, but I haven't gotten through that yet).
    Performance and Evaluation of LISP Systems
    LISP 1.5 Programmer's Manual
    Lisp in Small Pieces
    Bugs in Writing (best English book ever)
    Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation
    Smalltalk With Style
    The Design and Evaluation of a High Performance Smalltalk System (SOAR - =
    best fucking book on objective profiling and optimization ever written)
    Lions' Commentary on Unix
    A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction
    The Timeless Way of Building
    More Programming Pearls: Confessions of a Coder
    Programming Pearls (ACM Press)
    Writing Efficient Programs (Prentice-Hall Software Series)
    Working Effectively with Legacy Code
    The Pragmatic Programmer: =46rom Journeyman to Master
    Writing Solid Code: Microsoft's Techniques for Developing Bug-Free C =
    Programs
    Code Complete
    Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
    More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
    Thinking Forth
    How to Write Parallel Programs: A First Course
    Building Better Applications: A Theory of Efficient Software Development

    Tao of Objects: A Beginner's Guide to Object-Oriented Programming -- is =
    where I had my OO epiphany, but it was only 1 sentence that caused =
    satori, so it doesn't really count for much more than sentimental value =
    at this point.
    Ryan Davis, Jun 11, 2011
  16. Stu

    Stu Guest

    On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Ryan Davis <> wrote:

    > Tao of Objects: A Beginner's Guide to Object-Oriented Programming -- is where I had my OO epiphany, but it was only 1 sentence that caused satori, so it doesn't really count for much more than sentimental value at this point.

    I read The Tao of Objects as well. I think it's great that it's on
    your list. Makes me not feel so old =)

    Might flip through it later and maybe read a chapter or two.
    Stu, Jun 11, 2011
  17. > queue to read Meyers C++ books and Crockford's Javascript: The Good
    > Parts.

    If you are into JS, you might want to check out 'Pro Javascript
    Techniques' by John Resig. Haven't read it myself, but its on my list
    :).

    --
    Anurag Priyam
    http://about.me/yeban/
    Anurag Priyam, Jun 11, 2011
  18. Stu

    Stu Guest

    Hello Anurag

    Thank you for the reply. I am certainly interested in javascript
    books. I am interested in books that you have read, learned from, and
    consider a keeper. The best of the bunch. A book that influenced you
    in such a way that changed the way you programmed from that point
    forward. What's your favorite book?

    ~Stu

    Stu, Jun 11, 2011
  19. Stu

    Ivan Cenov Guest

    The Design and Construction of Compilers, Robin Hunter, John Wiley &
    Sons, 1984

    --

    Regards,

    Ivan Cenov
    OKTO-7 Co., Botevgrad, Bulgaria
    ,
    GSM: +359 888 76 10 80
    phone: +359 723 6 61 20, +359 723 6 61 61
    fax: +359 723 6 62 62
    Ivan Cenov, Jun 11, 2011
  20. ...if you are into compilers, you'll like the 'Dragon Book', 'Principles of
    Compiler Design' by Alfred V. Aho and Jeffrey D. Ullman...1977

    Patrick Lynch, Jun 11, 2011