className

Aaron Gray

Okay, onto className and the HTML class attribute.

When was className introduced, I believe it was introduced by Microsoft,
although I could be wrong. Now I also believe that Mozilla added support for
'className' at some point in Geko's life time, but when ?

Now the really horribly funny thing is when using getAttribute() and friends
IE only works with 'className' where as FF only works with 'class'. Funny
funny behaviour, I don't say.

Anyone educate me thurther with some details ?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

P.S. I could not find anything in the FAQ or any other good standard
informative source, but I maybe wrong.

Aaron Gray

Aaron Gray said:
Okay, onto className and the HTML class attribute.

When was className introduced, I believe it was introduced by Microsoft,
although I could be wrong. Now I also believe that Mozilla added support
for 'className' at some point in Geko's life time, but when ?

Woopse its a W3C DOM construct !
Anyone educate me thurther with some details ?

Anyone know with which browsers Geko and IE introduced it ?

I am wondering if we have to use get/setAttribute() with older browsers at
all ?

Does the behaviour need lifting, or can we just use the className object
attribute for all baseline browsers ? By baseline I mean all browsers
supporting Javascript 1.5/ ECMAScript 3/ JScript 5.5 ?

Aaron

Richard Cornford

Aaron said:
Okay, onto className and the HTML class attribute.

When was className introduced, I believe it was introduced by
Microsoft, although I could be wrong.

IE 4 had calssName properties on its elements, Netscape 4 did not. I
have never seen and IE 3 in the flesh so I don't know anything about its
object model (and couldn't care less at this point).
Now I also believe that Mozilla added support for 'className' at some
point in Geko's life time, but when ?

Pre-release Mozzlia browsers had className properties on its elements
(including at least 0.9 to my certain knowledge), as did Netscape 6
browsers. (there were no Netscape 5 browsers)

P.S. I could not find anything in the FAQ or any other good
standard informative source, but I maybe wrong.

The HTML DOM is the only standard relevant to className properties.

Richard.