    Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming.
    ~ Brian W. Kernighan 1942-01-01
    ..
    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2012

  2. Roedy Green

    markspace Guest

    On 6/7/2012 5:50 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > import sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger;
    >
    > will compile fine inside the IntelliJ IDE but fails with symbol not
    > found with javac *.java or with ANT
    >
    > The class files lives inside rt.jar. Javac is supposed to find such
    > files without help. Any ideas on what is going on?

    Didn't we help you with this already? Didn't we discover that javac
    compiles against a shortened "stub" list of classnames, and doesn't use
    the rull rt.jar during compilation? Didn't we find a command line
    switch for that told javac to not do that?
    markspace, Jun 8, 2012

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:08:32 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Didn't we help you with this already? Didn't we discover that javac
    >compiles against a shortened "stub" list of classnames, and doesn't use
    >the rull rt.jar during compilation? Didn't we find a command line
    >switch for that told javac to not do that?

    Maybe somebody did, but nothing you said sounds familiar. I can see
    that behaviour as an optimisation, but I would think it should look in
    the real rt.jar if it can't find it. Perhaps the logger class is
    considered Sun private.

    I'll see if I can find that option. Thanks.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2012
  4. Roedy Green <> writes:

    > import sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger;
    > will compile fine inside the IntelliJ IDE but fails with symbol not
    > found with javac *.java or with ANT
    > The class files lives inside rt.jar. Javac is supposed to find such
    > files without help. Any ideas on what is going on?

    Aren't those sun.* classes in rt.jar ones meant for ONLY internal use by
    other classes of the sdk library, NOT for application programmers?

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen
    Jukka Lahtinen, Jun 8, 2012
  5. Roedy Green

    Tom McGlynn Guest

    Tom McGlynn, Jun 8, 2012
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 07:46:07 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen
    someone who said :

    >Aren't those sun.* classes in rt.jar ones meant for ONLY internal use by
    >other classes of the sdk library, NOT for application programmers?

    Yes but there are certain things you can only do by using them, like
    turning of the logging of a zillion malformed cookie errors
    from kobo.com

    Sun has the right to change the API, delete methods etc without
    notice. With other methods in the API they deprecate. Sun does not
    feel obligated to document its internal methods to the same extent it
    does the normal API.

    They are making it a bit difficult to use the methods to ensure people
    don't use them without good reason. For example they want you to use
    your own Base64 rather than use the built in one. I guess they did
    not have the budget to bring their Base64 up to exposure standards.

    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2012
  7. Roedy Green

    markspace Guest

    markspace, Jun 8, 2012
  8. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 06:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Tom McGlynn
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
    :

    >> And the answer to my question is: javac -XDignore.symbol.file

    It works. The erroneous cookies are now being ignored.
    Roedy Green, Jun 9, 2012