Clean up Word HTML

Travis Pupkin

Hi,

I use a WYSIWYG rich text editor on a few web sites for clients to
manage their content, but a lot of them use word and paste into the box
and end up with a lot of crappy code as a result.

Has anyone created an ASP include that will clean up the word html and
just leave the basic formatting intact?

Thanks.

Steven Burn

Not to my knowledge.... perhaps one of the more "experienced" NG users can
help......?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Steven Burn

Personally I just detest Word....... period (prefer to use my own custom
built editor and before that, have used Notepad since I first started in web
dev).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Jeff Cochran

I use a WYSIWYG rich text editor on a few web sites for clients to
manage their content, but a lot of them use word and paste into the box
and end up with a lot of crappy code as a result.

Has anyone created an ASP include that will clean up the word html and
just leave the basic formatting intact?

That gets tough, because a lot of the Word is XML, and a lot is nested
tables to get formatting, and it's hard to tell what you may or may
not need.

Jeff

Jon

Hi,
I use a WYSIWYG rich text editor on a few web sites for clients to
manage their content, but a lot of them use word and paste into the box
and end up with a lot of crappy code as a result.

Has anyone created an ASP include that will clean up the word html and
just leave the basic formatting intact?

Thanks.

Not what you want, however Dreamweaver can 'tidy up' a lot of Words HTML
(and has a menu option to do so)

Jon

Travis Pupkin

Obviously Word as an HTML editor is a bad idea. What I'm talking about
is when a client has a web-based WYSIWYG content editor and frequently
pastes word data into it -- the HTML created is bulky and atrocious.

In trying out some PHP the other day, I found a PHP script which is a
complex series of find-and-replace commands aimed at cleaning up
unnecessary tags and Word html code fromn a string, but leaving the
essentials like bold italics in place.

Just wondering if anyone knew of an ASP equivalent.

Ken Fine

The commercial Advanced Content Editor (ACE) has a special button that will
clean up word XML... if the user remembers to press it on paste.

I agree a custom function would be nice. This problem limits the utility of
roll-your-own web-based CMS systems.