Clean URLs with Camping and Apache

Max Cantor

I've set Camping up to run with FastCGI, MySQL and Apache. I've set
some RewriteRule directives in an .htaccess file to enable clean URLs
with the app, that is:

/dev/my_app/foo/0

becomes...

/dev/my_app/dispatch.fcgi?foo/0

However, as soon as this URL hits Camping, the clean URLs stop because
Camping generates all of its links using the
/dev/my_app/dispatch.fcgi?foo/0 approach instead of /dev/my_app/foo/0.
Is there a good way to coax this behavior out of Camping?

Thanks,

Max

_why

Is there a good way to coax this behavior out of Camping?

Camping doesn't work like Rails, so you shouldn't have to use
RewriteRule to force the URLs.

AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
ScriptAlias / /usr/local/www/data/dispatch.fcgi/

If you're mounting on a subdirectory `my_app`:

ScriptAlias /my_app /usr/local/www/data/dispatch.fcgi/

The dispatch.rb is like:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'rubygems'
require 'camping/fastcgi'
require 'my_app'
Camping::Models::Base.establish_connection :adapter => 'sqlite3',
:database => "/tmp/camping.db"
Camping::FastCGI.start(MyApp)

See also:

* http://camping.rubyforge.org/classes/Camping/FastCGI.html
* http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/camping/wiki/TheCampingServerForApache

_why

Max Cantor

Thanks _why! I got it working. However... this is all well and good
if we have access to the server/v-host config, but what if we're on a
shared host and only have .htaccess overrides (albeit very thorough
ones)? If there is a /cgi-bin already defined, then some symlink
voodoo could work, but what if there's no ScriptAlias directive
whatsoever?

Thanks again.

Max