Clean way to send HTML e-mail with image using default mail client?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ramon, Oct 25, 2007.

  1. Ramon

    Ramon Guest

    Hi --

    We want to embed a "Send image via email" link in our app but (a) want
    to allow the user to add some additional information / text to the
    email and (b) don't want to clone a whole email client in our app. So
    the user experience we're trying to deliver is similar to what happens
    when you click on a mailto link in a browser: you get a blank email,
    with your favorite email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc), with the
    address and subject line filled in (if the mailto link was configured
    with that info). We'd like to do the same, but also have a newly-
    generated image included in the email, either as an attachment or
    embedded in an HTML email. Users can use their own signatures,
    addressbooks, etc.

    AFAICT JavaMail doesn't support this mode. Is there a clean way -- as
    encapsulated by a best practice or library -- for sending e-mail in
    this way?

    Thanks!

    Ramon
    Ramon, Oct 25, 2007

  2. Ramon wrote:
    > We want to embed a "Send image via email" link in our app but (a) want
    > to allow the user to add some additional information / text to the
    > email and (b) don't want to clone a whole email client in our app. So
    > the user experience we're trying to deliver is similar to what happens
    > when you click on a mailto link in a browser: you get a blank email,
    > with your favorite email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc), with the
    > address and subject line filled in (if the mailto link was configured
    > with that info). We'd like to do the same, but also have a newly-
    > generated image included in the email, either as an attachment or
    > embedded in an HTML email. Users can use their own signatures,
    > addressbooks, etc.
    >
    > AFAICT JavaMail doesn't support this mode. Is there a clean way -- as
    > encapsulated by a best practice or library -- for sending e-mail in
    > this way?

    Are you asking on how to send an email with both HTML and
    attached image via JavaMail API ?

    Or are you asking how to activate the default mail program
    on the system with an image attached ?

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 25, 2007

  3. Ramon

    Ramon Guest

    On Oct 24, 6:36 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:

    > Are you asking on how to send an email with both HTML and
    > attached image via JavaMail API ?
    >
    > Or are you asking how to activate the default mail program
    > on the system with an image attached ?

    The second one -- use the default mail program.

    Thx,

    Ramon
    Ramon, Oct 25, 2007