  1. How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    endl's?

    Tim M.

    Tim Mierzejewski, Jun 27, 2003

  2. "Tim Mierzejewski" <> wrote...
    > How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    > endl's?

    Please read FAQ 15.20. You can find FAQ
    here: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Tim Mierzejewski

    Unforgiven Guest

    Tim Mierzejewski wrote:
    > How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    > endl's?

    C++ can not clear the screen, as indicated in the FAQ Victor pointed you to.
    However, you can ask the OS to do it for you. The most common ways to do
    this are 'system("cls");' in Windows and system("clear");' in Linux. The
    system function is defined in <process.h>

    --
    Unforgiven

    "Not only do I not know the answer
    I don't even know what the question is"
    My world - Metallica

    Unforgiven, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message
    > Tim Mierzejewski wrote:
    > > How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    > > endl's?

    > C++ can not clear the screen, as indicated in the FAQ Victor pointed you

    to.

    Huh? C++ can do a lot of things using the OS specific libraries. Dont say
    C++ cannot clear the screen. Instead, you should say standard C++ cannot
    clear the screen.

    --
    -Ashish
    Hi! I'm a shareware signature! Send $5 if you use me, send $10 for manual!

    Ashish, Jun 27, 2003
  5. "Ashish" <> wrote...

    > "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message
    > > Tim Mierzejewski wrote:
    > > > How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    > > > endl's?

    > > C++ can not clear the screen, as indicated in the FAQ Victor pointed you

    > to.
    >
    > Huh? C++ can do a lot of things using the OS specific libraries. Dont say
    > C++ cannot clear the screen. Instead, you should say standard C++ cannot
    > clear the screen.

    That's the only C++ we speak of here.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 27, 2003
  6. "Ashish" <> wrote...

    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > > "Ashish" <> wrote...
    > > >
    > > > "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message

    > or

    > you
    > > > to.
    > > >
    > > > Huh? C++ can do a lot of things using the OS specific libraries. Dont

    > say
    > > > C++ cannot clear the screen. Instead, you should say standard C++

    cannot
    > > > clear the screen.

    > > That's the only C++ we speak of here.
    > >

    > Thats what I said too... but dont misguide the OP by saying that C++

    cannot

    Misguide?

    > do this, or can do that. Guide him to an appropriate newsgroup. I am sure
    > you understand that.

    But in all honesty, C++ cannot clear the screen. It's some OS-
    specific library call that does that. Or sequence of characters
    output to console or ... But it is not a language thing. And,
    by the way, while there exist extensions to the language created
    by some eager compiler vendors, there is only one C++ -- Standard.

    That's what we mean when we say "C++ cannot do that". Another
    example: can C++ read files? Yes. Can C++ read JPEG files? Yes.
    Can C++ read and display JPEG files? NO. Displaying them is not
    a language feature. C++ cannot do that. Not standard, not any
    other C++. The same with clearing the screen.

    Guiding others to a particular newsgroup is a voluntary thing. If
    you stop me in the street and ask whether I could give you a lift
    to a town a thousand kilometres away, I'll probably say "No, sorry,
    I cannot do that", but I am not obligated to explain to you all
    possible options you have or direct you to a bus station. It is
    up to you to figure that out. (Of course it might be mighty kind
    of me to point you to a bus stop, and I _probably_ would do that
    if I knew where you were going -- The OP just asked whether there
    was a way to clear the screen except outputting newline characters,
    and there isn't). See the point?

    Anyway...

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 27, 2003
  7. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    > "Ashish" <> wrote...
    > >
    > > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Ashish" <> wrote...

    \n's
    > > or

    pointed
    > > you

    Dont
    > > say

    > cannot
    > > >
    > > > That's the only C++ we speak of here.
    > > >

    > > Thats what I said too... but dont misguide the OP by saying that C++

    > cannot
    >
    > Misguide?
    >
    > > do this, or can do that. Guide him to an appropriate newsgroup. I am

    sure
    > > you understand that.

    > But in all honesty, C++ cannot clear the screen. It's some OS-
    > specific library call that does that. Or sequence of characters
    > output to console or ... But it is not a language thing. And,
    > by the way, while there exist extensions to the language created
    > by some eager compiler vendors, there is only one C++ -- Standard.
    >
    > That's what we mean when we say "C++ cannot do that". Another
    > example: can C++ read files? Yes. Can C++ read JPEG files? Yes.
    > Can C++ read and display JPEG files? NO. Displaying them is not
    > a language feature. C++ cannot do that. Not standard, not any
    > other C++. The same with clearing the screen.
    >
    > Guiding others to a particular newsgroup is a voluntary thing. If
    > you stop me in the street and ask whether I could give you a lift
    > to a town a thousand kilometres away, I'll probably say "No, sorry,
    > I cannot do that", but I am not obligated to explain to you all
    > possible options you have or direct you to a bus station. It is
    > up to you to figure that out. (Of course it might be mighty kind
    > of me to point you to a bus stop, and I _probably_ would do that
    > if I knew where you were going -- The OP just asked whether there
    > was a way to clear the screen except outputting newline characters,
    > and there isn't). See the point?
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > Victor

    I agree with you. But if you tell me that you cannot give me a lift to a
    thown a thousand kilometers away doesnt mean that you should tell me that
    there is no way I can go to that town. Thats what the other person did. He
    said that C++ cannot... I am not saying that he or you HAVE to guide the OP
    to an appropriate newsgroup, its voluntary ofcourse, but dont MISguide him
    saying that it cannot be done. Get it?

    Ashish, Jun 27, 2003
  8. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    > "Ashish" <> wrote...
    > >
    > > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Ashish" <> wrote...

    \n's
    > > or

    pointed
    > > you

    Dont
    > > say

    > cannot
    > > >
    > > > That's the only C++ we speak of here.
    > > >

    > > Thats what I said too... but dont misguide the OP by saying that C++

    > cannot
    >
    > Misguide?
    >
    > > do this, or can do that. Guide him to an appropriate newsgroup. I am

    sure
    > > you understand that.

    > But in all honesty, C++ cannot clear the screen. It's some OS-
    > specific library call that does that. Or sequence of characters

    And those OS-specific libraries cannot be used using C++. I get it now.

    Ashish, Jun 27, 2003
  9. "Ashish" <> wrote in message

    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > > "Ashish" <> wrote...
    > > >
    > > > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message

    > \n's
    > > > or

    > pointed
    > > > you

    > Dont
    > > > say

    > > cannot

    > > > Thats what I said too... but dont misguide the OP by saying that C++

    > > cannot
    > >
    > > Misguide?
    > >
    > > > do this, or can do that. Guide him to an appropriate newsgroup. I am

    > sure
    > > > you understand that.

    > > But in all honesty, C++ cannot clear the screen. It's some OS-
    > > specific library call that does that. Or sequence of characters
    > > output to console or ... But it is not a language thing. And,
    > > by the way, while there exist extensions to the language created
    > > by some eager compiler vendors, there is only one C++ -- Standard.
    > >
    > > That's what we mean when we say "C++ cannot do that". Another
    > > example: can C++ read files? Yes. Can C++ read JPEG files? Yes.
    > > Can C++ read and display JPEG files? NO. Displaying them is not
    > > a language feature. C++ cannot do that. Not standard, not any
    > > other C++. The same with clearing the screen.
    > >
    > > Guiding others to a particular newsgroup is a voluntary thing. If
    > > you stop me in the street and ask whether I could give you a lift
    > > to a town a thousand kilometres away, I'll probably say "No, sorry,
    > > I cannot do that", but I am not obligated to explain to you all
    > > possible options you have or direct you to a bus station. It is
    > > up to you to figure that out. (Of course it might be mighty kind
    > > of me to point you to a bus stop, and I _probably_ would do that
    > > if I knew where you were going -- The OP just asked whether there
    > > was a way to clear the screen except outputting newline characters,
    > > and there isn't). See the point?
    > >
    > > Anyway...
    > >
    > > Victor
    > >

    > I agree with you. But if you tell me that you cannot give me a lift to a
    > thown a thousand kilometers away doesnt mean that you should tell me that
    > there is no way I can go to that town. Thats what the other person did.

    No. Using the same analogy, the other person told you that you
    can't get to another town in Victor's car. He didn't say that
    clearing of the screen cannot be done. He said that clearing of
    the screen cannot be done with C++. Get it?

    > He
    > said that C++ cannot...

    And you think that C++ can? Show me.

    > I am not saying that he or you HAVE to guide the OP
    > to an appropriate newsgroup, its voluntary ofcourse, but dont MISguide him
    > saying that it cannot be done. Get it?

    Do you understand the difference between "it cannot be done" and
    "it cannot be done using C++ means"? Saying the latter does NOT
    imply the former, and in no way is misguiding. Get it?

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 27, 2003
  10. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    > "Ashish" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Ashish" <> wrote...

    of
    > > \n's

    > > pointed

    > > Dont

    C++
    > > > cannot

    > > > cannot
    > > >
    > > > Misguide?

    > > sure
    > > >
    > > > But in all honesty, C++ cannot clear the screen. It's some OS-
    > > > specific library call that does that. Or sequence of characters
    > > > output to console or ... But it is not a language thing. And,
    > > > by the way, while there exist extensions to the language created
    > > > by some eager compiler vendors, there is only one C++ -- Standard.
    > > >
    > > > That's what we mean when we say "C++ cannot do that". Another
    > > > example: can C++ read files? Yes. Can C++ read JPEG files? Yes.
    > > > Can C++ read and display JPEG files? NO. Displaying them is not
    > > > a language feature. C++ cannot do that. Not standard, not any
    > > > other C++. The same with clearing the screen.
    > > >
    > > > Guiding others to a particular newsgroup is a voluntary thing. If
    > > > you stop me in the street and ask whether I could give you a lift
    > > > to a town a thousand kilometres away, I'll probably say "No, sorry,
    > > > I cannot do that", but I am not obligated to explain to you all
    > > > possible options you have or direct you to a bus station. It is
    > > > up to you to figure that out. (Of course it might be mighty kind
    > > > of me to point you to a bus stop, and I _probably_ would do that
    > > > if I knew where you were going -- The OP just asked whether there
    > > > was a way to clear the screen except outputting newline characters,
    > > > and there isn't). See the point?
    > > >
    > > > Anyway...
    > > >
    > > > Victor
    > > >

    > > I agree with you. But if you tell me that you cannot give me a lift to a
    > > thown a thousand kilometers away doesnt mean that you should tell me

    that
    > > there is no way I can go to that town. Thats what the other person did.

    > No. Using the same analogy, the other person told you that you
    > can't get to another town in Victor's car. He didn't say that
    > clearing of the screen cannot be done. He said that clearing of
    > the screen cannot be done with C++. Get it?
    >
    > > He
    > > said that C++ cannot...

    > And you think that C++ can? Show me.
    >
    > > I am not saying that he or you HAVE to guide the OP
    > > to an appropriate newsgroup, its voluntary ofcourse, but dont MISguide

    him
    > > saying that it cannot be done. Get it?

    > Do you understand the difference between "it cannot be done" and
    > "it cannot be done using C++ means"? Saying the latter does NOT
    > imply the former, and in no way is misguiding. Get it?

    Oh, why am I arguing with you anyways? I reinstalled my OS and lost all the
    news and email filters. Time to ignore you and Dan Poop again. Goodbye.

    Ashish, Jun 27, 2003
  11. Tim Mierzejewski

    Default User Guest

    Ashish wrote:

    > Oh, why am I arguing with you anyways? I reinstalled my OS and lost all the
    > news and email filters. Time to ignore you and Dan Poop again. Goodbye.

    Is there some reason you had three screens worth of quotes for this tiny
    reply?

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jun 28, 2003
  12. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    "Default User" <> wrote in message

    > Ashish wrote:
    >
    > > Oh, why am I arguing with you anyways? I reinstalled my OS and lost all

    the
    > > news and email filters. Time to ignore you and Dan Poop again. Goodbye.

    > Is there some reason you had three screens worth of quotes for this tiny
    > reply?

    Yes. A couple of reasons actually. First, it has become an off-topic thread
    and anyone who cares to read off-topic posts should probably take the
    efforts to scroll down to the bottom. Second, I am too lazy.

    Ashish, Jun 28, 2003
  13. Tim Mierzejewski

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:30:17 -0400, "Ashish" <>
    wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message
    > > Tim Mierzejewski wrote:
    > > > How do I clear the text from my screen, other than a bunch of \n's or
    > > > endl's?

    > > C++ can not clear the screen, as indicated in the FAQ Victor pointed you

    > to.
    >
    > Huh? C++ can do a lot of things using the OS specific libraries. Dont say
    > C++ cannot clear the screen. Instead, you should say standard C++ cannot
    > clear the screen.

    I guarantee you that I can show you several systems where C++,
    standard or not, cannot clear the screen. For the simple reason that
    there IS NO SCREEN. One of the reasons C++ does not support a screen
    is that it does not require one.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Jun 28, 2003
  14. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    "Jack Klein" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:30:17 -0400, "Ashish" <>
    > wrote in comp.lang.c++:
    >

    > > "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message

    or

    > > > C++ can not clear the screen, as indicated in the FAQ Victor pointed

    you
    > > to.
    > >
    > > Huh? C++ can do a lot of things using the OS specific libraries. Dont

    say
    > > C++ cannot clear the screen. Instead, you should say standard C++ cannot
    > > clear the screen.

    > I guarantee you that I can show you several systems where C++,
    > standard or not, cannot clear the screen. For the simple reason that
    > there IS NO SCREEN. One of the reasons C++ does not support a screen
    > is that it does not require one.

    I am sorry, I had put my statement wrongly. But, since the OP asked about
    clearing the screen, I assumed he had a screen (a computer monitor).

    Ashish, Jun 28, 2003
  15. Tim Mierzejewski

    klaas Guest

    you do not want to use process.h since it is not platform independant,
    use stdlib.h instead

    regards

    pol jak

    klaas, Jun 28, 2003
  16. Tim Mierzejewski

    Stephen Howe Guest

    > Is there some reason you had three screens worth of quotes for this tiny
    > reply?

    Laziness.

    I hate the griping about top posting in the newsgroup (which is a heinous
    crime IMO and come the revolution, top-posters will be second against the
    wall to be shot with me in the role of executioner).

    But some people who gripe against top-posters commit the equally henious
    crime of not pruning old conversation. Why should I have to download reams
    of old conversation and then scroll through it just to see a reply? IMO they
    are more guilty than top-posters (and again, come the revolution,
    non-pruners will be first against the wall to be shot with me in the role of
    executioner).

    Stephen Howe

    Stephen Howe, Jun 28, 2003
  17. Tim Mierzejewski

    Stephen Howe Guest

    > I guarantee you that I can show you several systems where C++,
    > standard or not, cannot clear the screen. For the simple reason that
    > there IS NO SCREEN. One of the reasons C++ does not support a screen
    > is that it does not require one.

    I agree with you. But lets go further...

    Equally I can show you systems where there is NO SUCH THING AS A FILE. So
    why does both C and C++ provide stdio/streams? That is an OS thing and IMO,
    should be removed.

    Also the assumption that dynamic memory is available via new/malloc() should
    be removed. That also is an OS thing and IMO should be removed.

    Stephen Howe

    Stephen Howe, Jun 28, 2003
  18. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish Guest

    "Stephen Howe" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there some reason you had three screens worth of quotes for this tiny
    > > reply?

    > Laziness.
    >
    > I hate the griping about top posting in the newsgroup (which is a heinous
    > crime IMO and come the revolution, top-posters will be second against the
    > wall to be shot with me in the role of executioner).
    >
    > But some people who gripe against top-posters commit the equally henious
    > crime of not pruning old conversation. Why should I have to download reams
    > of old conversation and then scroll through it just to see a reply? IMO

    they
    > are more guilty than top-posters (and again, come the revolution,
    > non-pruners will be first against the wall to be shot with me in the role

    of
    > executioner).

    No problem.... here I am, shoot me, spam my email address, hack my website,
    DOS attack my webserver and do whatever you feel like.
    I visit this newsgroup for advise and sometimes even help others. I dont
    like top posters and non-pruners too. But when people weep over not pruning
    posts in some stupid off topic post, it pisses me off. Please dont read this
    message, it has nothing to do with C++.

    -A

    Ashish, Jun 28, 2003
  19. Tim Mierzejewski

    Ashish wrote:

    > "Default User" <> wrote in message

    > > Is there some reason you had three screens worth of quotes for this tiny
    > > reply?
    > >

    > Yes. A couple of reasons actually. First, it has become an off-topic thread
    > and anyone who cares to read off-topic posts should probably take the
    > efforts to scroll down to the bottom. Second, I am too lazy.

    Neither is a good excuse.

    1. We can't really rail at the top-posters when people validate their
    point by failing to edit the quotes down to a reasonable subset. If a
    post is worth responding to, it's worth taking the time to do it
    correctly. If not, then the better solution is to not reply at all. The
    fact that it was OT does not matter.

    2. I find it difficult to believe that it was that much work. I used to
    use trn with vi as the editor, yet always managed to trim quotes. You
    use a windows based newsreader, where you merely needed to drag down on
    some text and hit delete.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jun 30, 2003