clearing or capturing the screen

Slack

I wish to write a console text editor. Can anyone tell me how to
capture the screen like Vi or Pico does?

Also, I wish to draw "tabs" on the screen, is there a standard way to
draw so that my code is crossplatform and will compile on most
platforms?

Thanks,

-Jason

Moonlit

Hi,

I take it that you are developing for *nix systems then I believe you have
to take a look into ncurses. I believe that is a library that let you
position the cursor clear terminal screen etc.

I don not believe vi captures the screen rather (like on windows) it knows
what is on the screen internally and redraws parts (give commands to the
terminal) if those change.

--

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://moonlit.xs4all.nl

Ivan Vecerina

:
: Also, I wish to draw "tabs" on the screen, is there a standard way to
: draw so that my code is crossplatform and will compile on most
: platforms?

The standard C++ language itself has no support for 'manipulating'
the console window and its inputs/outputs. A platform-specific
solution is therefore required.

However, you can use a library that is available on most platforms.
I think 'ncurses' is included on most unices, and is available
on Windows as well. Try googling for that.
[ Disclaimer: I never used it ]

hth -Ivan