"Click to activate and use this control" appearing for applets in IE

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    As detailed at
    http://weblog.motion-graphics.org/archives/2006/03/click_to_activa.html, a
    recent Microsoft Update causes Internet Explorer to disable Java applets
    until the user clicks on the applet. Until then IE displays a Tooltip with
    the message "Click to activate and use this control". A user who previously
    needed to click on a button in the applet to start a program now needs two
    clicks - one to activate the applet and a second to click the button.

    This latest annoyance is the result of a patent dispute, and other content
    such as Flash. More details on the hassles awaiting the unsuspecting users
    who accept this update from Windows Update are in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945/en-us. The Knowledge Base article
    makes it sound like this is not an issue for JRE 1.5, but my testing in JRE
    1.6 shows it is a problem.

    I see examples of code that can be put into Flash pages to turn off this
    annoyance. Are there ways to protect pages with Java applets?

    Mickey Segal, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Mickey Segal

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message

    > I see examples of code that can be put into Flash pages to turn off this
    > annoyance. Are there ways to protect pages with Java applets?

    Well, what is the example for Flash?

    I'm not a JavaScript guru, but could the solution be as simple as
    writing a JavaScript to fake a mouse click into the embedded object?

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Mickey Segal

    Timo Stamm Guest

    Re: "Click to activate and use this control" appearing for appletsin IE

    Oliver Wong schrieb:
    > "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I see examples of code that can be put into Flash pages to turn off
    >> this annoyance. Are there ways to protect pages with Java applets?

    > Well, what is the example for Flash?

    I think it is a javascript call from the flash movie:

    getURL("javascript:document.getElementById(...).focus();");

    > I'm not a JavaScript guru, but could the solution be as simple as
    > writing a JavaScript to fake a mouse click into the embedded object?

    Something like

    will probably suffice for most cases. Damn software patents.

    Timo

    Timo Stamm, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Oliver Wong" <> wrote in message
    > Well, what is the example for Flash?
    > I'm not a JavaScript guru, but could the solution be as simple as
    > writing a JavaScript to fake a mouse click into the embedded object?

    The example I saw is at
    http://www.pixelmill.com/(xecadpcjrastkq8t3n8qby53)/support/support_article.aspx?ArticleID=kb101593
    The basic idea seems to be to use JavaScript to load something from
    somewhere else; it involves a bunch of steps. I haven't quite figured out
    what is going on.

    It would be great if we could post the workaround code for a simple Hello
    World Java applet using <APPLET> tags so everyone could get around this
    problem without having to slog through this out themselves.

    Although the Microsoft Update that cripples IE in this way is now an
    optional download it is expected to be part of the next security update
    pushed to all users, which could be as soon as tomorrow.

    Mickey Segal, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Mickey Segal

    Timo Stamm schrieb:
    > Oliver Wong schrieb:
    >> I'm not a JavaScript guru, but could the solution be as simple as
    >> writing a JavaScript to fake a mouse click into the embedded object?

    > Something like

    > will probably suffice for most cases. Damn software patents.

    No, apparently it doesn't :(

    You have to write the entire embed/object tag using javascript. There
    are much easier ways than the one given in the link [1] Mickey posted,
    though.

    Apple has a very simple and easy to follow example for quicktime movies:

    http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedprep.html

    Here is one for flash movies (it was created to solve other problems,
    but it fixes the focus issue, too):

    http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/

    Timo

    ____
    [1]http://www.pixelmill.com/(xecadpcjrastkq8t3n8qby53)/support/support_article.aspx?ArticleID=kb101593

    Timo Stamm, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Mickey Segal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:19:10 -0500, "Mickey Segal"
    who said :

    >I see examples of code that can be put into Flash pages to turn off this
    >annoyance. Are there ways to protect pages with Java applets?

    Tell people to use a different browser.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 13, 2006
  7. Mickey Segal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:20:43 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Tell people to use a different browser.

    seriously. MS has screwed everyone repeatedly. They are not the only
    browser game in town. There is a certain moral duty in telling them to
    shove it. There must be consequences for evil actions.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Timo Stamm" <> wrote in message
    > Apple has a very simple and easy to follow example for quicktime movies:
    > http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedprep.html

    The Apple approach looks pretty general and straightforward. I'll give it a
    try.

    For reasons too painful to recount, our company's software already has
    <APPLET> tags generated in JavaScript, so this may not be a big deal for us
    to implement. But this annoyance will cause a lot of bother if it shows up
    on a hundred million computers over the next few days if it is included as
    an obligatory part of a 14 March security update instead of in an optional
    non-security upgrade as it appeared a few days ago.

    Mickey Segal, Mar 14, 2006
  9. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal schrieb:
    > "Timo Stamm" <> wrote in message
    >> Apple has a very simple and easy to follow example for quicktime movies:
    >> http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedprep.html

    > The Apple approach looks pretty general and straightforward. I'll give it a
    > try.
    >
    > For reasons too painful to recount, our company's software already has
    > <APPLET> tags generated in JavaScript, so this may not be a big deal for us
    > to implement. But this annoyance will cause a lot of bother if it shows up
    > on a hundred million computers over the next few days if it is included as
    > an obligatory part of a 14 March security update instead of in an optional
    > non-security upgrade as it appeared a few days ago.

    Imagine billions of animated flash advertisements stopping to work. This
    issue is a blessing ;)

    Timo

    Timo Stamm, Mar 14, 2006
  10. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Timo Stamm" <> wrote in message
    > Imagine billions of animated flash advertisements stopping to work. This
    > issue is a blessing ;)

    If this hits the general users, imagine how many people will decide they are
    losing their minds.

    Tomorrow I'll try to put up a Hello World applet that works around this
    problem.

    Mickey Segal, Mar 14, 2006
  11. Mickey Segal

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Timo Stamm" <> wrote in message

    > Imagine billions of animated flash advertisements stopping to work. This
    > issue is a blessing ;)

    When users ask about this, be sure to mention two things. (1) It's due
    to the broken patent system used in the US. (2) Firefox doesn't have this
    problem.

    Kill two birds with one stone.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Mar 14, 2006
  12. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    > Tomorrow I'll try to put up a Hello World applet that works around this
    > problem.

    I put a Hello World applet with the JavaScript workaround at:
    http://www.segal.org/java/HelloPatent/

    Following the example that Apple gave:
    http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedprep.html
    I had two JavaScript lines in the HTML page:

    Between the HEAD tags:
    <script src="specifyApplet.js" language="JavaScript"
    type="text/javascript"></script>

    Where I actually insert the applet:
    <script
    language="JavaScript"type="text/javascript">getAppletTags();</script>

    Could someone who knows more about JavaScript than I do please tell me
    whether it is possible to simplify this? Is would be easier to retrofit a
    bunch of pages if it the import statement between the HEAD tags could be
    rolled into the other line as some sort of path for getAppletTags.

    Mickey Segal, Mar 14, 2006