    web pages, but I am not sure that html type capabilities exist for
    plain-vanilla perl scripts such as the one I am describing.
    , Jan 26, 2007

  2. On Jan 26, 5:19 pm, wrote:
    > I am using a perl script to send mail to a list of users with a
    > statement that says something like "For assistance, contact the
    > helpdesk at consultant\@xyz.com." This works okay, but
    > "" is not clickable when it arrives in the email
    > client. Is there any way to enable this? I have used perl to generate
    > web pages, but I am not sure that html type capabilities exist for
    > plain-vanilla perl scripts such as the one I am describing.

    You can't have a "clickable" something in a plain text mail. (This has
    nothing to do with Perl).

    Making an email HTML is a simple as giving it a content-type header
    (then producing a valid HTML document as the message body).

    Note that unless you know the recepients will all be using HTML capable
    MUAs then you should probably be sending MIME multipart/alternative.

    The MIME::* modules on CPAN would probably be a good place to start.
    Brian McCauley, Jan 26, 2007

  3. >>>>> "BMcC" == Brian McCauley <> writes:

    BMcC> You can't have a "clickable" something in a plain text
    BMcC> mail. (This has nothing to do with Perl).

    Pedantry: you can't force the MUA to allow the user to click on
    something, but many MUAs will recognize email addresses and allow the
    user to click on them, even in plain-text emails.

    You are correct, however, in that this has nothing do do with Perl,
    and in that the best solution is to send multipart/alternative emails.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Jan 26, 2007