Clicking on Sun Java Plugin installation evokes 3 basic java setup questions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Bonnie Johnson, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Can you advise me, a Windows XP user who knows nothing about Java.

    Here's what transpired moments ago when I pointed my browser to
    dslreports.com for the first time and I elected to "install the java
    plugin".

    1. Within a few moments, I was presented with this question.
    Windows installer is trying to access the Internet.
    Application: msiexec.exe
    Destination IP: 216.52.17.158:HTTPS
    Accept? Deny?

    2. A progress bar popped up saying
    Please wait while the Install Wizard installs
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10.
    This may take several minutes.

    3. Then I was asked this question.
    The program SunJavaUpdateSched has registered the executable
    C:\Program Files\Java\jrel1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe to run at system
    startup.
    Do you wish to allow this change?

    QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
    Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
    Internet?

    QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
    java?
    Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?
    Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?

    QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
    I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
    computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
    Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
    java?
    Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?

    Can you advise me on these three question please?
    Bonnie Johnson, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Bonnie Johnson

    Ian Wilson Guest

    Re: Clicking on Sun Java Plugin installation evokes 3 basic javasetup questions

    Bonnie Johnson wrote:
    > QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
    > Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
    > java?
    > Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?
    > Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?
    >
    > QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
    > I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
    > computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
    > Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
    > java?
    > Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?
    >
    > Can you advise me on these three question please?

    You actually have eight questions not three!

    1. These days it is common for the installer to download the installed
    package from the Internet.

    2. You should accept the request to connect to the Internet if you are
    sure it relates to a software installation that you initiated.

    3. You can check the version of an installed Java runtime (JRE) against
    the java.com website. The version number is listed in all the usual places.

    4. As an end user I don't know of any way of controlling what version of
    Java a web page asks for.

    5. I believe that Web pages using Java web start can ensure that the
    recipient has the correct version of Java for the application. The
    version required may not necessarily be the latest. This may not be a
    problem as I understand that several different versions of Java can
    exist on a computer at the same time.

    6. "Program Files" is where Microsoft want developers to arrange that
    their software be installed. It is no surprise to me that Sun fit in
    with the wishes of the developer of the operating system.

    7. You should ask Microsoft why they think it is a good idea for all
    applications to be installed in the folder named Program Files.

    8. There may be a way to get the JRE and browser-plugin installed to a
    directory of your choice but I don't know how. Many installers ask this
    but I can't remember if the JRE installer did.
    Ian Wilson, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Bonnie Johnson wrote:
    > Can you advise me, a Windows XP user who knows nothing about Java.
    >
    > Here's what transpired moments ago when I pointed my browser to
    > dslreports.com

    Who? They may point to the correct place, but it
    is simpler just to go there yourself and get it.
    www.java.com/getjava/

    Assuming you do that, I will answer these questions
    for the 'real Java'.

    > QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
    > Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
    > Internet?

    The win installer often comes as a tiny file that knows
    where to get the big bits, and can save you (a lot of)
    time by only downloading the parts you need. For example,
    support for non-english languages is a chunk of a few
    megabytes, it the installer determines you don't need
    it - it is not downloaded.

    > QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
    > java?

    The Java plug-in should connect to the internet
    occasionally on start-up and check for updates.
    I recommend you let Java update when it requests
    to do so. Sun is very careful to ensure that bugs
    are fixed quickly - especially those which might
    compromise your security or privacy - but that is
    no good unless you allow the installer to update.

    > Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?

    Huh? You are not thinking of MS Java, are you?
    (There are a number of manufacturers of fine 'Java
    Plug-Ins' besides Sun - MS is *not* one of them).

    > Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?

    Good point. Yes. There are some that might argue
    otherwise, but for you as an end user, I would *strongly*
    recommend you *refuse* any download of 'earlier' plug-ins.

    This can lead to installing earlier versions that might
    potentially have security bugs. Inform the site hosts
    you cannot afford to risk that, and to come 'here'
    for further advice.

    > QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
    > I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
    > computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
    > Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
    > java?
    > Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?

    That would be what? (I have score of programs that are
    all installed in 'Program Files' - including MS software).

    > Can you advise me on these three question please?

    Sure. But it was 5 questions, so I'll have to
    charge you extra. ;-)

    (Note follow-ups set to c.l.j.help only)

    HTH

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 10, 2007