Client Callbacks Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages - useful?

Ryan Liu

Hi,

Just read asp.net documentation, regarding

Implementing Client Callbacks Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages

Is this a useful function at all?

I mean we can implement it in Page Methods, or as WCF service method call,
or jquery ajax call, or seems simpler and more efficient. Is there a case we
need use Client Callback in developer's code?

Thanks!
Ryan

Guest

Hi,

Just read asp.net documentation, regarding

    Implementing Client Callbacks Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages

Is this a useful function at all?

I mean we can implement it in Page Methods, or as WCF service method call,
or jquery ajax call, or seems simpler and more efficient. Is there a case we
need use Client Callback in developer's code?

Thanks!
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

in some situations using call-backs can be more simple than ajax. You
only need to implement the ICallbackEventHandler interface and add two
methods to your webform. See complete example at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178208.aspx However when
performance comes into play you would probably need to look at other
methods. Here's a good explanation by Mads Kristensen:
http://www.webpronews.com/blogtalk/2006/10/16/aspnet-clientcallback-simplicity-vs-performance

Hope this helps