Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;

Nikos

I get this when from my perl script i try to connect to my database from
within my index.pl script;

Software error:

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client at D:\www\cgi-bin\index.pl line 16.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin@lan), giving this
error message and the time and date of the error.

Iam using Perl v5.8 an i downloaded DBD::mysql from cpan.

must i download a new DBD::mysql?

Iam on XP and i have downloaded mysql5.msi

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
I get this when from my perl script i try to connect to my database from
within my index.pl script;

Software error:

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client at D:\www\cgi-bin\index.pl line 16.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin@lan), giving this
error message and the time and date of the error.

Iam using Perl v5.8 an i downloaded DBD::mysql from cpan.

must i download a new DBD::mysql?

Iam on XP and i have downloaded mysql5.msi

Do you *ever* try google for your questions, or is this newsgroup your
first port of call? Do you expect everyone else to read the
documentation for you?

Sigh.

Mark

Nikos

Mark said:
Do you *ever* try google for your questions, or is this newsgroup your
first port of call? Do you expect everyone else to read the
documentation for you?

I did try somethign that i found on google but it did not correct the
problem.

Also some other stuff i found i didnt understand them, so i though it
was a good idea to ask here for a more detailed explanation.

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
I did try somethign that i found on google but it did not correct the
problem.

Also some other stuff i found i didnt understand them, so i though it
was a good idea to ask here for a more detailed explanation.

Well Nikos, this is the thing. What did you try? What happened when you
tried? hat didn't you understand? What connect string are you using? How
is the server configured? What is the version of MySQL installed on the
client? What is the version of MySQL installed on the server? W I know
you won't answer any of these questions (you never do), so I'm just
posting this for my own amusement. You need to learn to ask yourself
these questions. This forum is *not* a substitute for thinking by
yourself, reading by yourself, or learning by yourself, but you still
haven't realised that, despite everything that everyone has said....

Mark

Fabian Pilkowski

* Nikos said:
I did try somethign that i found on google but it did not correct the
problem.

Ok, you have read something you found on google about this problem.
Hence, you know that MySQL 4.1 and up uses a new password hashing
algorithm, do you? And, why not looking into the MySQL docs when your
search at google fails? Please, read your problem's solution at

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html
Also some other stuff i found i didnt understand them, so i though it
was a good idea to ask here for a more detailed explanation.

I think, it is a good idea to search for more detailed explanations
using google -- particularly, before starting a new thread here. I
suggest you try out every solution proposed on the website above,
there're just four of it.

Btw, I have had this problem a few days ago as a result of upgrading my
MySQL server too. And I can guarantee that the first solution mentioned
there is the easiest way to be satisfied, IMHO -- ok, a nice (closed
source) freeware tool I used on my windows box for many years to manage
the database wasn't updatable, but MySQL itself provides a small tool
with a similar functionality -- hence, it doesn't matter to me ;-)

regards,
fabian