Client is slow processing a response.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jeff, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi,

    I have a problem when accessing a web service from a client written in
    c#. The time for the web service call to complete varies from 2 -
    20(or more seconds), for the same request/response. At first I
    thought that the third party web service (asp.net) was the cause of
    the problem. However they claim to be return a sub second response,
    and investigation by our network engineers appears to confirm this.

    I've added more tracing to the client proxy and discovered for an
    unknown reason a delay is occurring in the processing of the
    response. The web service is secured using HTTPS and WSE. I've
    created a client send and receive filter and have traced out timings,
    so that I know when the last bit of processing is complete on the
    outbound request message and when we receive the inbound response
    message. The biggest delay appears to be somewhere between the
    receive filter and the the completion of the invoke in the client
    proxy.

    WSE is used only to sign the message and I'm currently not checking
    the sig of the response, so it is not this that is taking the time.
    If I debug into the receive filter ProcessMessage method I can see in
    the SOAPEnvelope the result I am expecting to see, so I don't
    understand why it then takes so long to appear as the result of invoke
    method when there appears to be no more processing code in between.

    Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA.

    Jeff, Mar 11, 2008

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I think I've solved this myself. WSE tracing was enabled. Switching
    this off and it's now a sub second response.

    A very important lesson has been learned. :)

    Jeff, Mar 12, 2008