Client-server PDF creation with xtopdf, XML-RPC, ReportLab and Python

vasudevram

Hi group,

I've released a software package named PDFXMLRPC. It consists of a
server and a client. Using them, you can do client-server PDF creation
from text, over the Internet or your intranet. It runs over XML-RPC
and uses HTTP as the transport. It can work with any available port,
including the standard HTTP port 80, or any other allowed and
available one.

The server is written in Python and uses xtopdf (also written by me),
XML-RPC (from the standard Python library), ReportLab (the open source
version) and Python.

The client is written in Python and uses XML-RPC.

PDFXMLRPC can be downloaded from here:

http://www.dancingbison.com/PDFXMLRPC.zip

That zip file contains the server, the client, a README.txt file and
the license.

(NOTE: The README.txt file contains a line saying to download the
PDFXMLRPC package from http://www.dancingbison.com/PDFXMLRPCClientAndServer.zip
- that line is a mistake, left over from an earlier unreleased
version. If you have the README.txt file, it means that you have
already downloaded and extracted the correct file - which is
PDFXMLRPC.zip, so just ignore that wrong line. I'll update the
README.txt file to correct that error soon.)

The README.txt file gives details on how to install the software
needed, and how to run it.

PDFXMLRPC is released under the BSD license.

I welcome any feedback on it.

I would like to thank the Python and ReportLab guys for creating great
software.

Thanks,
Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises
http://www.dancingbison.com

vasudevram

Hi group,
I'll update the README.txt file to correct that error soon.)

Done. Corrected README.txt uploaded (as part of updated zip file).

I forgot to mention, in the original post above, that both the client
and the server programs have top-level classes that encapsulate all of
their functionality, and those classes are callable / programmable.
Which means that you can call those classes (or rather their methods)
in your own larger applications, to get that functionality of client-
server creation of PDF from text, in your apps. Take a look at the main
() functions of the client and the server (in files PDFXMLRPCClient.py
and PDFXMLRPCServer.py) - the code is simple and self-explanatory,
since those two main functions themselves are instances of code that
calls the methods of the classes mentioned above.

- Vasudev