Client/Server/Servlets Design Problem

xfan

Hello,

since 1 month i work on a server, which check all 5 seconds for change
on some sensors. the server could register multiple modules (in form of
objects) for multiple sensors, so if one state of a sensor change, the
registered's moduls for this specific sensor will be invoke and compute
something. this system i call my backend.
now i want control this backend with a web-frontend, to monitor the
states of sensors, watch the modul results.... my problem, which
communication between servets/jsp of frontend and my backend should i
use??

Tom Cole

xfan said:
Hello,

since 1 month i work on a server, which check all 5 seconds for change
on some sensors. the server could register multiple modules (in form of
objects) for multiple sensors, so if one state of a sensor change, the
registered's moduls for this specific sensor will be invoke and compute
something. this system i call my backend.
now i want control this backend with a web-frontend, to monitor the
states of sensors, watch the modul results.... my problem, which
communication between servets/jsp of frontend and my backend should i
use??

Well, what language is the server written in? How do you communicate
with it in a non-JSP environment?

xfan

oh, i forgotten. my server is written in java and at this time i run
the hole server main object as a part in a test servlet, which i start
first. but now i want seperate the server from the web-tier. my system
shoud be more a stand-alone-server with web front end controlling and
NOT a web application. so i decide to use tomcat/jsp/servlets for the
frontend. buf how should i implement the communication between server
and frontend servlets???

xfan

oh, i forgotten. my server is written in java and at this time i run
the hole server main object as a part in a test servlet, which i start
first. but now i want seperate the server from the web-tier. my system
shoud be more a stand-alone-server with web front end controlling and
NOT a web application. so i decide to use tomcat/jsp/servlets for the
frontend. buf how should i implement the communication between server
and frontend servlets???

frankgerlach

If the visualization component should be reacting on sensor events, you
might consider using a java applet for that. You can easily update the
display based on events you read from a TCP (socket) connection to the
server. JSP/Servlets do not update that efficently/elegantly.

xfan

the visual frontend should used only for checking the current state, if
i want. the backend-server logs the states from the sensors,too. so the
web frontend should be a small thin-client, where i can start/stop
sensoring, download log data and .. only for administration of the
backend system.