    Please help.
    All suggestions welcome!!!

    Thanks
    Shreya Menon, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Shreya Menon

    Sudsy Guest

    Shreya Menon wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have been asked to play a crusial role in converting an existing
    > Java based client server application to a web server based
    > application.
    > How should I proceed ?

    Suggest to your employers that they contract with someone familiar
    with the appropriate technologies? Not meaning to offend, but it
    sounds like you're out of your depth on this one.
    Sudsy, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Shreya Menon

    Oscar kind Guest

    Shreya Menon <> wrote:
    > I have been asked to play a crusial role in converting an existing
    > Java based client server application to a web server based
    > application.
    > How should I proceed ?
    >
    > We have to use websphere/Oracle/J2EE. I know these.
    >
    > How do I approach this problem ? What will be the best way to think
    > about a design approach for this kind of problems ?

    There are two distinctions to keep in mind:
    1. Business logic versus interface
    2. "Normal" GUI versus web application

    The first thing to do is to ensure that the current application has a
    clean separation between the business logic and the interface. Then, drive
    this separation even further: no automatic updates to the interface (the
    interface must take all initiative).

    Then, design the web pages for the web application to match the screens
    you already have. Follow this by several redesigns until you're satisfied
    with the result.

    The last step is to connect the business logic with the new interface.

    Of course, this assumes three additional requirements are met:
    - You're familiar enough with "normal" gui's to understand if the
    interface has all initiative or not.
    - The application can actually function as a web application.
    - The application has a good design.

    --
    Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/

    Oscar kind, Sep 16, 2004