    and none of them even touch on the subject. I've searched web sites and
    found nothing. Is client side ActiveX programs on the way out? Is there
    any online examples of how to code an ActiveX control to take to the server?
    ESPN Lover, Oct 20, 2004

  2. In my opinion, Active X controls were always a bad idea and always will be.
    They seem to definately be on the way out now.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgU2ltb25z?=, Oct 20, 2004

  3. ActiveX Controls are COM, which is why you can't find anything about them in
    C# books. The following MSDN article should be helpful to you:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaxctrl/html/msdn_actxcont.asp

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 20, 2004
  4. ESPN Lover

    ESPN Lover Guest

    So what would be my alternative then. I need to prorgam a couple of things
    that I can only think of that would work in an ActiveX control type of
    scenario. Such as for interactive games nand multi-user games where there
    would be need for a server side push rather than a client side pull. Any
    ideas on how to do this in .NET?

    ESPN Lover, Oct 20, 2004
  5. ActiveX controls are "definately" fine, and are far more common than some
    people might think, just not as common in web pages. They only work in IE,
    but other than that, they are fine. Windows Update, for example, uses an
    ActiveX control to find out what updates are already installed on your
    computer. Alternatives to ActiveX include Java applets and embedded .Net
    Windows Forms, which require an ActiveX Control to work.

    However, if you're talking about writing a multi-player game, your best bet
    is to go with a thick client, such as an executable app on the client
    machine.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 20, 2004
  6. ESPN Lover

    ESPN Lover Guest

    Can ActiveX controls be written and compiled in .NET languages like csharp
    and server from ASPX pages? If so, how do I get started?

    ESPN Lover, Oct 21, 2004