Client Side ActiveX control

ESPN Lover

I need a good primer in how to program an ActiveX control that is launched
client side to communicate with the server. I've read thru three C# books
and none of them even touch on the subject. I've searched web sites and
found nothing. Is client side ActiveX programs on the way out? Is there
any online examples of how to code an ActiveX control to take to the server?

Guest

In my opinion, Active X controls were always a bad idea and always will be.
They seem to definately be on the way out now.

ESPN Lover

So what would be my alternative then. I need to prorgam a couple of things
that I can only think of that would work in an ActiveX control type of
scenario. Such as for interactive games nand multi-user games where there
would be need for a server side push rather than a client side pull. Any
ideas on how to do this in .NET?

Kevin Spencer

ActiveX controls are "definately" fine, and are far more common than some
people might think, just not as common in web pages. They only work in IE,
but other than that, they are fine. Windows Update, for example, uses an
ActiveX control to find out what updates are already installed on your
computer. Alternatives to ActiveX include Java applets and embedded .Net
Windows Forms, which require an ActiveX Control to work.

However, if you're talking about writing a multi-player game, your best bet
is to go with a thick client, such as an executable app on the client
machine.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

ESPN Lover

Can ActiveX controls be written and compiled in .NET languages like csharp
and server from ASPX pages? If so, how do I get started?