Client Side Callbacks for ASP.NET 1.x

Lucas Tam

Hi all,

I remember someone posted a link to a javascript callback package that
worked in ASP, Perl, PHP, etc... does anyone have a similar package for
ASP.NET 1.x? I want to implement some client side callbacks before ASP.NET
2.0 is available.

Thanks!

Lucas Tam

Hi all,

I remember someone posted a link to a javascript callback package that
worked in ASP, Perl, PHP, etc... does anyone have a similar package
for ASP.NET 1.x? I want to implement some client side callbacks before
ASP.NET 2.0 is available.

Thanks!

I think I found the link:

http://www.ashleyit.com/rs/main.htm

Anything better than this?

Lucas Tam

Also, for a more fully featured (and commercial) ASP.NET callback
library, try LiveControls for ASP.NET

Demo: http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
Product page: http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

Thanks ... looks pretty good. I started building my app with a .NET port of
AshleyIt's Javascript remoting and it's working quite good.

http://www.thycotic.com/dotnet_remotescripting.html

I'm a bit leary about paying for a commerical product when ASP.NET
clientside callbacks are only a couple months away. Does Dart's product
provide any added benefits besides cross browser support over Microsoft's
implementation of callbacks? (from the demo it does look slick!).

Jeff @ Dart

Well, glad you asked ;)

Actually, there are quite a few added benefits, but I'll just highlight
my favorite. With all other callback libraries (including ASP.NET 2.0's
calback support) the only thing that is implemented is the callback
itself. It is still up to the developer to hook up the client side
event to raise the callback, to implement the server-side function that
is raised, and to handle the response on the client-side. If any DHTML
updating needs to be performed, the developer has to write the
JavaScript.

With our product, the ONLY code you write is server-side code. We take
care of writing any required JavaScript. For example.say you wanted to
write a test app that, when a user clicked a button, a drop-down list
was filled. Of course, this would need to occur seamlessly...without a
refresh.

With our product, simply drag a LiveButton and LiveDropDownList on the
WebForm, implement the click event, and within the event, rebind the
LiveDropDownList to the new data. We take care of raising the callback
and of sending back the appropriate JavaScript to fill the drop-down.

Private Sub LiveButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles LiveButton.Click
LiveDropDownList.DataSource = GetDataSource()
LiveDropDownList.DataBind()
End Sub

....and you're done!

Now, go ahead and write the equivalent using Ashley or ASP.NET 2.0
callback libraries, and you'll begin to see the difference.

Anyway, for most simple callback scenarios, the Ashley or ASP.NET 2.0
callback support may be enough for you. In that case, use it by all
means! However, if you need more advanced support you may want to
consider using our product. There is a free 30-day, full trial to see
if it will save you development time.

Lucas Tam

Anyway, for most simple callback scenarios, the Ashley or ASP.NET 2.0
callback support may be enough for you. In that case, use it by all
means! However, if you need more advanced support you may want to
consider using our product. There is a free 30-day, full trial to see
if it will save you development time.

Hi,

I looked over the pricing scheme, does Dart offer a royalty free
distribution license of live controls? For example, if I'm building a web
interface for an application which I'll be distribution, do I have to pay
on a per server (distribution) basis? This would seem to be quite
expensive.

Thanks!