Client-side chat

Jason Walraven

I was wondering if anyone has done real-time client-side chat in ASP .net
yet. I have a project where this is needed, and I'm wondering if someone
can steer me in the right direction of where to start.

Thanks,
Jason Walraven

matt

The key elements to a browser based asp.net chat session is going to be
getting to grips with using hidden frames (or other method of submitting
a request invisibly - can also be done using
document.createElement("script") and then adding the relevant src
attribute, etc...), javascript, and possibly DHTML to communicate
invisibly with the server on a regular basis to check for new messages.
It can be done, but you will have to keep going back to the server often
as there is no way to push messages to the browser from the server when
they are received.

I think I remember seeing some similar solution in asp, but it was a
while ago and I can't remember where.

Matt

Jason Walraven

Thanks