Client side detection of JScript?

What-a-Tool

I'm playing around in my personal site trying to figure out a way to detect
if JavaScript is enabled client side, and get that info back to the server
without any manual intervention, or visibility on the clients end.

What I am doing now is:

Set a variable for - Scripting = "Unverified"

Send a blank page to the client with a hidden form field, and some
JavaScript which sets the hidden field to "Verified" and automatically
submits the form.

As soon as the form page is sent, I have other code which runs a timer loop
on the server for 3 seconds, then sends a page to the clients computer -
which page depends on whether or not variable Scripting now equals
"Unverified" or "Verified".(Haven't played around with this time much, to
see just how much I actually need)

This, of course, would only have to be done the very first time the client
goes to my site, but still, I hate the thought of purposely putting a delay
on the loading of my page, and don't care for the idea of running a timer
loop on the server everytime someone accesses the page.

Granted - for my personal site, this is a very minor problem, as the number
of visitors is going to be pretty small - but still, there has got to be a
better way!

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? (I am still a beginner at web
programming, and every thing I do is still a learning experience :)

Thanks

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"Opinions are like flatulence - everyone loves the sound of their own, but
anyone else's usually just stinks !"
-anonymous

What-a-Tool

Sorry - posted this before I did enough testing - I have now realized that
it wasn't a very smart way to do this, and wasn't working properly anyway. I
have since figured out a way to do what I was trying.