Client Side Javascript / DataGrid question - Can anyone answer this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by James Radke, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. James Radke

    James Radke Guest

    Hello,

    I have a datagrid on a vb/asp.net webform. Due to the number of elements on
    each line item we have opted to not use in-line editing for each row, but
    instead we are making the first item "clickable" which will then copy the
    selected rows information to one row of data entry fields - textboxes (not
    all items in each row of the datagrid are editable) located at the bottom of
    the screen.

    Here is my question: since we already have all the information on the web
    form in each of the datagrid's rows, is there a client-side javascript
    method we can use to transfer the data from the datagrid to the textbox
    fields so that we don't have to perform another roundtrip to the server as
    well as the additional database reads?

    If there is a way to do this, can someone share an example?

    Thanks!

    Jim
    James Radke, Oct 26, 2003

  2. James Radke

    MSFT Guest

    HI Jim,

    On client side, ASP.NET DataGrid control will be presented as an HTML
    Table. We can retrieve the values from the table's cells directly. For a
    similar sample, you can refer to:

    HOWTO: Access Table Cells Using x and y Coordinates Through DHTML
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q264470

    In this way, we may need more client side script.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)