Client Side Javascript / DataGrid question - Can anyone answer this?

James Radke

Hello,

I have a datagrid on a vb/asp.net webform. Due to the number of elements on
each line item we have opted to not use in-line editing for each row, but
instead we are making the first item "clickable" which will then copy the
selected rows information to one row of data entry fields - textboxes (not
all items in each row of the datagrid are editable) located at the bottom of
the screen.

Here is my question: since we already have all the information on the web
form in each of the datagrid's rows, is there a client-side javascript
method we can use to transfer the data from the datagrid to the textbox
fields so that we don't have to perform another roundtrip to the server as
well as the additional database reads?

If there is a way to do this, can someone share an example?

Thanks!

Jim

MSFT

HI Jim,

On client side, ASP.NET DataGrid control will be presented as an HTML
Table. We can retrieve the values from the table's cells directly. For a
similar sample, you can refer to:

HOWTO: Access Table Cells Using x and y Coordinates Through DHTML
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q264470

In this way, we may need more client side script.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)