Client Side: "Rich Internet Applications" in Python?

pleaseSeeFooter

Pythonagons,

I am considering using (building) a client-side application, rather than a browser, for an Internet application. I am aware there are a few resources out there like XUL and various Java clients or classes to build one with.

Has anyone developed a frame work for this sort of thing in Python? I am looking at the Windows platform initially, but of course would like to have portability. I have not built something like this before (in any language), so I have only a vague idea of how to structure it, but I think I could be most productive working in Python.

My initial requirements may not be too demanding, but it seems like it would be a nice set of modules to have in one's toolbox.

Any suggestions?

Eric Pederson
http://www.songzilla.blogspot.com
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix=""
for letter in [chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"]:
ePrefix+=letter
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Lucas Raab

If you were looking at Java-oriented things, you might check out Jython.
http://www.jython.org.

[...]

Jorgen Grahn

[lines rewrapped]
I am considering using (building) a client-side application, rather than a
browser, for an Internet application. I am aware there are a few resources
out there like XUL and various Java clients or classes to build one with.

Has anyone developed a frame work for this sort of thing in Python? I am
looking at the Windows platform initially, but of course would like to have
portability. I have not built something like this before (in any language),
so I have only a vague idea of how to structure it, but I think I could be
most productive working in Python.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do - write a program or design The
Great Unified Framework, but I'd like to plug the old-fashioned approach: to
design a text-based protocol (a la SMTP, NNTP, HTTP ...) for your specific
application and implement that. That way there are no dependencies, not
even to Python.

Eric Raymond has a few things to say on the subject, in and around
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s04.html>.

/Jorgen