    to stop the postback completely if the user omits the
    login field. Can this be done using ASP.NET?

    Thanks in advance!

    Guest, Nov 29, 2003

    Peter Blum Guest

    The RequiredTextValidator and any of the other validators supplied by
    Microsoft stop post back automatically when the page is submitted and an
    error occurs. Here are some guidelines that cause post back anyway:

    1. The EnableClientScript property is false on the validator.
    2. Client-side validation is only supported on IE and IE/Mac browsers. All
    other browsers post back. (I sell a replacement to Microsoft's validators
    called "Professional Validation And More" that supports validation on IE,
    IE/Mac, Netscape 6+, Mozilla, Opera 7, and Safari. Learn more at
    http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx.)
    3. The end user has disabled javascript on their browser
    4. The Javascript files supplied by Microsoft for client-side validation are
    not properly installed and therefore are not loaded into the page. See the
    aspnet_regiis.exe utility to fix this.

    --- Peter Blum
    www.PeterBlum.com
    Email: