client-to-client communication via SOAP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bruce, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in
    which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of
    binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The
    applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle
    registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a
    ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a .NET
    web service.

    This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear to
    me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information and
    files with the server. My question is how to enable clients to send objects
    directly between one another? Can .NET web services be utilized for this
    kind of peer-to-peer communication?

    From what I understand so far, there is a problem with the use of web
    services for peer-to-peer communication between clients (independant of the
    server): Each client would have to have an .asmx web service running on IIS
    to enable it to "serve" content to a peer which placed a request. But many
    (if not most) clients will not have IIS available for security reasons.
    Bottom line question: can SOAP messages be exchanged between clients
    (preferable via http to help overcome firewall challenges) without utilizing
    IIS on the clients?

    Finally, if anyone can recommend a good article on peer-to-peer
    communication between clients (without the use of IIS on the clients) I
    would appreciate that. I prefer samples in C#.

    Thanks,
    -- Bruce
    Bruce, Mar 24, 2005