    accessing my .net application over the web?

    thanks
    Mitja

    mitja, Oct 14, 2008

  2. On Oct 14, 6:43 am, "mitja" <-lj.si> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have read a lot of posts on the web and got no answer. Is there any chance
    > of geting any unique client identification data (his IP-but not proxy IP or
    > router or NAT, his username, his computer name, anything) to know from where
    > is the user accesing my aspx page.
    >
    > I have to get some identfication to know on which computer in my company is
    > user working.
    > It would be easy if thet would be just intranet (REMOTE_HOST ), but I have
    > some computers that are outside the intranet at the other part of the city,
    > accessing my .net application over the web?
    >
    > thanks
    > Mitja

    The REMOTE_HOST value is the IP address of the machine that requested
    the page. In the intranet it is your own IP address. In the internet
    this is an IP of your router/proxy and usually you will not get the
    local IP address. Instead, you may get a public IP of your ISP, a
    company which offers the access to the Internet. And this is not
    unique.

    You can try to get the computer name using the code below. This is
    also based on REMOTE_ADRESS value

    IPHostEntry hostInfo = new IPHostEntry();
    hostInfo=Dns.GetHostByAddress(REMOTE_ADRESS);
    string hostname=hostInfo.HostName;

    Alexey Smirnov, Oct 14, 2008