Client validation not working with XML data islands in tables

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dnna, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Dnna

    Dnna Guest

    I have a table which is bound to an Internet Explorer XML
    data island. I'm using ASP.NET's client-side validators
    for an input field in the table. The problem is that if
    the input fields are in a table that is bound to the
    island (such that the rows are dynamically generated by IE
    from the XML data island), the validators do not work. If
    the table is not bound, the validators do work, but then I
    don't have the table iterating through all the elements in
    my xml island.

    If I hard-code a Javascript onchange event into each form
    field and then write a custom javascript function, I might
    be able to manually invoke the validators. But then I need
    to figure out how to manually call the ASP.NET front-end
    validators. I'd prefer to stick to "pure" ASP.NET
    validation and have it work w/ IE XML data island bound
    table if at all possible.

    BTW, I realize that I could bind the XML on the server-
    side using ASP.NET's data-binding methods. The advantage
    to using the client-side IE XML data islands is that I can
    keep all of the data in an XML format from the front-end
    all the way to my XML-compatile ORacle 9i database on the
    back-end, which reduces the amount and complexity of code
    that needs to be written.

    Any suggestions?

    Here is the generated code for my table:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN"> <HTML> <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Patient Visits</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <H1>Patient Visits</H1>
    <XML ID="VisitsDSO">
    <visits>
    <visit>
    <number>1</number>
    <height>111</height>
    <weight>100</weight>
    <date>1999-01-01</date>
    </visit>
    <visit>
    <number>2</number>
    <height>222</height>
    <weight>200</weight>
    <date>2000-01-01</date>
    </visit>
    <visit>
    <number>3</number>
    <height>333</height>
    <weight>300</weight>
    <date>2001-01-01</date>
    </visit>
    <visit>
    <number>4</number>
    <height>444</height>
    <weight>400</weight>
    <date>2002-01-01</date>
    </visit>
    <visit>
    <number>5</number>
    <height>555</height>
    <weight>500</weight>
    <date>2003-01-01</date>
    </visit>
    </visits>
    </xml>

    <form name="_ctl0" method="post"
    action="PatientVisits.aspx" language="javascript"
    onsubmit="ValidatorOnSubmit();" id="_ctl0"> <input
    type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE"
    value="dDwtNDg3NzIxNjA3Ozs+LcqNO2ytHf6sg9tZGopQzt1vegQ=" />

    <script language="javascript"
    src="/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"
    ></script>

    <TABLE datasrc="#VisitsDSO" BORDER="1">
    <THEAD>
    <TR>
    <TH>
    Visit</TH>
    <TH>
    Date</TH>
    <TH>
    Height</TH>
    <TH>
    Height</TH>
    <TH>
    Weight</TH>
    </TR>
    </THEAD>
    <TR>
    <TD VALIGN="top">
    <SPAN DATAFLD="number"></SPAN>
    </TD>
    <TD VALIGN="top"><input name="TextBox2" id="TextBox2"
    type="text" datafld="Date" />
    controltovalidate="TextBox2" errormessage="<br>Empty
    Field" display="Dynamic"
    evaluationfunction="RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid"
    initialvalue="" style="color:Red;display:none;"><br>Empty
    Field</span>
    controltovalidate="TextBox2" errormessage="<br>Please
    enter a whole number greater than or equal to 12345."
    type="Integer"
    evaluationfunction="CompareValidatorEvaluateIsValid"
    valuetocompare="12345" operator="GreaterThanEqual"
    style="color:Red;visibility:hidden;"><br>Please enter a
    whole number greater than or equal to 12345.</span>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    var Page_Validators = new Array(document.all
    ["Requiredfieldvalidator1"],
    document.all["Comparevalidator2"],
    document.all["Requiredfieldvalidator4"],
    document.all["Comparevalidator1"]);
    // -->
    </script>

    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    var Page_ValidationActive = false;
    if (typeof(clientInformation) != "undefined" &&
    clientInformation.appName.indexOf("Explorer") != -1) {
    if (typeof(Page_ValidationVer) == "undefined")
    alert("Unable to find script
    library '/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation
    ..js'. Try placing this file manually, or reinstall by
    running 'aspnet_regiis -c'.");
    else if (Page_ValidationVer != "125")
    alert("This page uses an incorrect version of
    WebUIValidation.js. The page expects version 125. The
    script library is " + Page_ValidationVer + ".");
    else
    ValidatorOnLoad();
    }

    function ValidatorOnSubmit() {
    if (Page_ValidationActive) {
    ValidatorCommonOnSubmit();
    // -->
    </script>

    </form>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Here is a simplified version of the aspx page:

    Codebehind="PatientVisits.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="App1.WebForm1" %>
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <!--#include virtual="FormData.asp"-->
    <form runat="server">

    <!-- binding works here, AND
    validation does also. -->
    <asp:DropDownList
    id="Dropdownlist1" datasrc="#VisitsDSO" datafld="Weight"
    runat="server">
    <asp:ListItem></asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem
    Value="100">100</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem
    Value="200">200</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem
    Value="300">300</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem
    Value="400">400</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem
    Value="500">500</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator
    id="Requiredfieldvalidator3" runat="server"
    ControlToValidate="Dropdownlist1" ErrorMessage="<br>Empty
    Field"

    Display="Dynamic"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

    <TABLE BORDER="1"
    datasrc="#VisitsDSO">
    <THEAD>
    <TR>

    <TH>
    Weight</TH>
    </TR>
    </THEAD>
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
    <TD
    VALIGN="top">
    <!--
    binding works here, but validation does not. -->

    <asp:DropDownList id="SelectWeight"
    datafld="Weight" runat="server">

    <asp:ListItem></asp:ListItem>

    <asp:ListItem Value=100>100</asp:ListItem>

    <asp:ListItem Value=200>200</asp:ListItem>

    <asp:ListItem Value=300>300</asp:ListItem>

    <asp:ListItem Value=400>400</asp:ListItem>

    <asp:ListItem Value=500>500</asp:ListItem>

    </asp:DropDownList>

    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator
    id="Requiredfieldvalidator2" runat="server"
    ControlToValidate="SelectWeight"

    ErrorMessage="<br>Empty Field -- Came from Table"

    Display="Dynamic"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TBODY>
    </TABLE>

    </form>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Dnna, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Dnna

    bruce barker Guest

    asp.net validation works by adding a custom attribute to each element that
    needs validation. then when validation is done, the validation routine scans
    all elements looking for this attribute, whose value indicates the
    validation routine to call. You just need to add the attribute yourself.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Dnna

    Dnna Guest

    Thanks for your help. I have a question about the exact
    syntax to use. My table ends up with four rows, but the
    aspx source just looks like this for textbox:
    <input type="text" name="TextBox2" id="TextBox2"
    DATAFLD="Date" runat="server">

    and like this for dropdown:
    <asp:DropDownList id="SelectWeight" DATAFLD="Weight"
    runat="server">
    <asp:ListItem></asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem Value="100">100</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem Value="200">200</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem Value="300">300</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>

    Where should I add the custom attribute? And are there any
    syntax or value rules?

    Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.
    -- Dnna

    Dnna, Dec 8, 2003