ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock in ASP.NET 2.0

Nathan Sokalski

I am working on converting my code from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. In
ASP.NET 1.1 the RegisterClientScriptBlock method was just a key and script
(2 Strings), but in ASP.NET the ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock also
includes a parameter called 'type' which is of Type. This sounds like it is
supposed to specify whether the script is JavaScript, VBScript, JScript,
ECMAScript, etc., but I what am I supposed to enter here (I have not heard
of a value of Type that would specify this)? (I always use JavaScript for my
client-side scripts) Thanks.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Nathan,

Try it like this:

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType, "Startup",
scriptString)

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

daniel #

Hi Nathan

RegisterClientScriptBlock doesn't know about client side scripting, the
parameter type is the object 'type', You usually get this with GetType()
method.

See ya
daniel #

Guest

The C# flavor would be:

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(typeof(this), "Startup",
scriptString)

I was hoping an MVP would say why they decided to associate scripts with the
pages that contain them; I'm assuming that the same script manager object is
shared throughout the web site.

Alessandro Zifiglio

William, its just to give you a much better option to identifying script
files. Basically if you just provided a key string, this will surely make it
unique but if the key was associated to a particular control, it wont clash
with other controls that might be using the same key to identify their
scripts, since now my key is prefixed to my control.

Specially if you are a control author, this is useful since I dont know what
kind of key the end user might want to use to uniquely identify his other
script files. I dont want to assume what it might be either, so if i can
prefix this with the type of my control i have a better chance of making the
key unique and avoid any un-necessary clashes or limiting the end user. I
guess you can consider specfying a type as providing a namespace.

This is also hinted in the documentation :
"A client script is uniquely identified by its key and its type. Scripts
with the same key and type are considered duplicates"

Regards,
Alessandro Zifiglio
http://www.AsyncUI.net