cloaking

Paul Briggs

Hi,

What is cloaking and I don't want my site to lose it's ranking or be
delisted because of this at search engines, how do i protect my site from
this? i only want my site to be indexed by major search engines how to i
stop these totally weird and unkown bots from accessing my site?

Regards Paul

Michael Wilcox

Paul Briggs said:
What is cloaking

Quote: http://www.google.com/webmasters/faq.html#cloaking
" The term "cloaking" is used to describe a website that returns altered
webpages to search engines crawling the site. In other words, the webserver
is programmed to return different content to Google than it returns to
regular users, usually in an attempt to distort search engine rankings. This
can mislead users about what they'll find when they click on a search
result. To preserve the accuracy and quality of our search results, Google
may permanently ban from our index any sites or site authors that engage in
cloaking to distort their search rankings."
i only want my site to be indexed by major search engines
how to i stop these totally weird and unkown bots from accessing my
site?

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

Paul Briggs

Hi,

Thanks from time to time i have people helping me with stuff on my site they
are allowed access to the server my site is on, could they have done
anything to have stopped major search engine from indexing new pages on my
site.

Thanks Paul