clocking muxing, plz throw some light

sudeepts

Hello , can any one plz advise me on the correct method of handling
multiple clocks in a design, i have read many documents on clock
synchronization from Clifford E. Cummings and some SNUG papers, they
are stressing on using synchronisers for avoiding metastability, but
what i want to know is if i want to select diffirent clock rates
depneding upon some condition how do i do that using muxes which might
in turn add clock skew and glitches b/w when changing different rates.
ex coding...sytle

clk1 <= clk_1 when rate_in = "0001" else
clk_2 when rate_in = "0010" else
clk_3 when rate_in = "0011" else
clk_4 when rate_in = "0100" else
clk_5 when rate_in = "0101" else
clk_6 when rate_in = "0110" else
clk_7 when rate_in = "0111" else
clk_8 when rate_in = "1000" else
clk_9;

is this the correct way or what is the correct way to do this kind of
clock selection depending upon some condition in the design.

wim.aerts01

Hi,

If you are using FPGA's, I would not advice you to change the clock for
a particular piece of hardware. This will indeed introduce clock skew,
but more importantly you will give yourself a very hard job during
place and route (because you have to add a lot of constraints and if
not done correctly you will have image dependent results).

The easiest solution:
If you have 9 clocks, generate the hardware 9 times (each one with a
different clock). So for every condition you will have 9 results and it
is up to you to select the correct one (of course with correct
synchronisation).

good luck