clone PerlMagick functionality in POGL for a GPU?

guba

Hello,

I have made some programs with ImageMagick/PerlMagick
for image processing: batch composing of images from
several source images, up to 4000x4000 pixel. Because
IM is using only the CPU I am wondering how I could
port this functionality to a much faster GPU.

[The PerlMagick methods I used are:
Append, Blur, Clone, Composite(In, Over, CopyOpacity),
Crop, Draw, Flip, Flop, Get(columns, rows), Read,
Rescale or Zoom, Roll, Rotate, Set(size, matte, page),
Write.]

Recently I read something about Core Image in OSX 10.4
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/coreimage.html
and the CIKernel Language that is a derivative of the
more general purpose OpenGL Shading Language
using only things that are relevant for 2D image processing.
So I began reading about OpenGL and I found POGL,
an opensource Perl OpenGL module:
http://graphcomp.com/pogl.cgi?v=0111s1m1

Might this be a (easy?) way to clone the functionality
that I needed in IM for a GPU? Thank you for hints!

Guenter

Martien verbruggen

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 03:12:09 -0700,
Hello,

I have made some programs with ImageMagick/PerlMagick
for image processing: batch composing of images from
several source images, up to 4000x4000 pixel. Because
IM is using only the CPU I am wondering how I could
port this functionality to a much faster GPU.

As this would require changes to the core functionality in the
ImageMagick libraries, and not to the Perl parts of it, you should
probably consider discussing this with the imageMagick developers. They
can be found on the Discourse server, or the mailing lists, both
mentioned at www.imagemagick.org (follow the User Community link).

Martien

guba

Hello,
Rather less good for larger images, I'm afraid,
so finding an alternative might be good in your circumstances.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with perl ;-)

My posting has exactly the purpose to evaluate this: replace
the functionality of IM with something else. My hypothesis
for now is that OpenGL could replace the functionality
of IM but with GPU support. And my question was if
the Perl OpenGL module POGL could do the things in
combination with OpenGL that PerlMagick can do
in combination with IM. Thank you.

Guenter