close browser window

olga p.

Hi,

I would like to close the browser window when I open the new one. Now I'm
getting really irritation message: do I really want to close it, yes or no.
I just want to close the browser without the message.

Does anybody know the solution?

greatings,

Olga

Harag

Hi,

I would like to close the browser window when I open the new one. Now I'm
getting really irritation message: do I really want to close it, yes or no.
I just want to close the browser without the message.

Does anybody know the solution?

The only windows you can close via scripting are the windows that the
scripting opens.

you cannot close the original window that the user opens with a
shortcut... (well you can but the user has the choice as you can see).

HTH
Al

Randy Webb

Harag said:
The only windows you can close via scripting are the windows that the
scripting opens.

you cannot close the original window that the user opens with a
shortcut... (well you can but the user has the choice as you can see).

I think, for the sake of doing it, I will keep my mouth (and fingers)
shut this time, its been beaten to death.

Needless to say, you *can* [1] close that window without a prompt.
Search the archives.

[1] In about 80% (??) of circumstances.

P.S. The Unconditional Truth might surprise you.

DJ WIce

:
: you cannot close the original window that the user opens with a
: shortcut... (well you can but the user has the choice as you can see).
In the past you could:

- open a child
- let the child replace the current location of the parent, not via parent..
but via the name you gave the parent.
- then try to close the parent via that name.

I may hope this bug is fixed by now for all browsers.
The browser (MSIE) just though the child became parent of it's parent.

Wouter

Richard Cornford

- open a child
- let the child replace the current location of the parent, not via
parent.. but via the name you gave the parent.
- then try to close the parent via that name.

I may hope this bug is fixed by now for all browsers.
The browser (MSIE) just though the child became parent of it's parent.

That is a very convoluted way of exploiting the bug that Randy alluded
to, an probably less reliable than the usual[1] method.

Richard.

[1] Not usual in the sense that this is often done as it is a really
*bad* idea to shut down someone else's software without asking them
first, you never know what you might be destroying in the process.

Randy Webb

DJ said:
: The only windows you can close via scripting are the windows that the
: scripting opens.
:
: you cannot close the original window that the user opens with a
: shortcut... (well you can but the user has the choice as you can see).
In the past you could:

- open a child
- let the child replace the current location of the parent, not via parent..
but via the name you gave the parent.
- then try to close the parent via that name.

I may hope this bug is fixed by now for all browsers.
The browser (MSIE) just though the child became parent of it's parent.

Its not even that difficult. I can close the original page (In certain
browsers), without opening a second window at all.

Jim Ley

Its not even that difficult. I can close the original page (In certain
browsers), without opening a second window at all.

Yeah, but that's not really being anti-social

screen.bufferDepth=2

now that's anti-social.

Jim.

Christopher Jeris

screen.bufferDepth=2
now that's anti-social.

Damn.

That's horrible.

Somebody should have each bone in their hands broken with
a hammer for specifying that.

(but did you mean 1? msdn seems to say that 2 is equivalent to -1,
and testing on IE6 verifies this)

rf

Jim Ley said:
Yeah, but that's not really being anti-social

screen.bufferDepth=2

now that's anti-social.

Stick it in your onUnload. Then the next site gets blamed :)

Cheers
Richard