close webform java script

Paul

I am looking for a java script to close a web form that I can attatch to a
button click event. I am using vs2005, c#.
Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the responses, do I just attatch this to the onclick event?
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

Mark Rae said:
[top-posting corrected]
The script "window.close()" close the window in the browser. Is this
that you need?

That will generate a message asking the user to confirm that they want to
close the window, and you have omitted the final semi-colon.

The correct JavaScript is:

"window.opener=null;window.close();"

Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Try this:
Add this as an attribute to your button:

OnClientClick="return window.close()"

Ben Amada

Mark said:
That will generate a message asking the user to confirm that they want
to close the window, and you have omitted the final semi-colon.

The correct JavaScript is:

"window.opener=null;window.close();"

That only appears to be the case with IE6.

In IE7, setting opener to null doesn't appear to make a difference. There
is a difference between closing a window that was opened by script versus
closing a window that was not opened by script. You're prompted with a
confirmation if closing a window that was _not_ opened by JavaScript. If
the window was opened by JavaScript, you're not prompted with a confirmation
(it just closes). Setting window.opener to null doesn't change this.

In Firefox, if you try to close a window that was not opened by JavaScript,
it doesn't close and you get the message "Warning: Scripts may not close
windows that were not opened by script." in the error console. If you close
a window that was opened by JavaScript, you're not prompted with a
confirmation (it just closes). This is true regardless of setting
window.opener to null.

In Safari 3.1, setting opener to null makes no difference. Windows opened
by script always close without a confirmation, and windows not opened by
script will not close with window.close().

bruce barker

setting opener to null was a trick that works due a (minor) security bug
with ie 6.0 (opener should be read only). no properly coded browser will
allow javascript to close a main (non popup) window, only windows that
were opened with javascript (and thus have an opener defined) will
respond to window.close().

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ben Amada

bruce said:
setting opener to null was a trick that works due a (minor) security bug
with ie 6.0 (opener should be read only). no properly coded browser will
allow javascript to close a main (non popup) window, only windows that
were opened with javascript (and thus have an opener defined) will
respond to window.close().

Aaah ... I wasn't aware of this issue with IE6. Another item on my "go away
IE6" list :)