Closing a frame in a frameset

James Hurrell

Hi All,

I have a three frame frameset (left, top and bottom - left runs the complete
length of the left hand side).

I'd like to do the following:
- include a link in the left frame that closes the left frame but keeps the
top and bottom frames in place
- include a link in the top frame that redisplays the left frame but keeps
the top and bottom frames in place

Does anyone know if this is possible and how I could go about implementing
it? Would it require a javascript? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any information gratefully received...

Many thanks,

James Hurrell

Daniel Doman

I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
means other than getting new machines. Are you suggesting that CSS support
will always be bad?

Daniel Doman

"hmmm... i'm not sure where z-index fits into your frames argument but
i'll take a guess.. i'm still having problems working with CSS so i'll
use any argument i can think of to muddy the waters and justify my use
of old outdated and poor practices. "

That somes kind of rude, and obviously does not refer to what I said.

Isofarro

Daniel said:
I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
means other than getting new machines.

Upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to what?

Isofarro

Daniel said:
BTW - I actually check user agent and generate whatever the browser
supports in some cases.

Why am I not surprised this mediocre technique is _still_ in use?

EightNineThree

Daniel Doman said:
OK - I'll bite: I don't see how Z-index has anything to do with this and I
am happy to learn.

As for browsers that don't support CSS properly or completely - well what
should I do? Tell them to upgrade? If you want to use my site, come back
with a better browser?

I use CSS all over the place, but I found that there were too many browsers
that did not handle overflow:scroll properly or in some cases at all. It
helps that Safari which did not support autoscroll at all has been fixed,
but IE for OSX is still busted.

Frames are a royal pain. No doubt. If you have a better idea I am all ears.

Isn't this like goto in programming languages? Its a bad thing, bad style,
but in many languages for a reason and sometimes practical.

BTW - I actually check user agent and generate whatever the browser
supports in some cases.

How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

EightNineThree

Daniel Doman said:
"hmmm... i'm not sure where z-index fits into your frames argument but
i'll take a guess.. i'm still having problems working with CSS so i'll
use any argument i can think of to muddy the waters and justify my use
of old outdated and poor practices. "

That somes kind of rude, and obviously does not refer to what I said.

How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

rf

What am I missing?

For a start you are missing a partial quote of the post to which you are
replying. See what I have done? I have quoted part of your post so others
can see what I am on about.

During the last couple of minutes I have read at least four of your posts.
In every case I had to find the post you replying to, look at and try to
figure out what the hell you were replying to.

Having to do this tends to make people simply ignore you.

Cheers
Richard.

Disco

Isofarro said:
Upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to what?

Surely you cant be serious Isofaro. Please do not tell me that you do not
understand his arguement? It looks like you are trying to be silly again.

Daniel Doman

OK - I'll be a sport. I can deal with jerks calling me names and flaming
me. Just give me a straight answer. If you think I am stupid and don't
understand something, feel free to explain why. If you think I am being
silly, by all means tell me why. This discussion has fallen to a moronic
flamefest (no offense intended to you in particular).

But before I get further flamed, let me be clear that I am not endorsing
Microsoft in any way.

To all: You don't agree with what I said? You think I am wrong or
misinformed? Thats fine. Tell me why. Yuu can be insulting about it if that
makes you feel better, but say something useful.

Isofarro

Daniel said:
not everyone is running IE6

A sizeable majority are, and its Internet Explorer that is now far behind in
the standards compliance. Non IE-6 users upgrading ain't going to change
the balance sufficiently to prove your point.

This just proves that your expectations are unrealistic. There's nothing
going on in the next two years that will affect the IE using public. So CSS
will not suddenly make more sense in two years. It either makes sense right
now, or you are stuck with 1997 web development methods until 2007 if you
are lucky - It could be 2012 before you'll grudgingly accept CSS.

Isofarro

Disco said:
Surely you cant be serious Isofaro. Please do not tell me that you do not
understand his arguement?

The question still remains unanswered, perhaps you think yourself capable of
answering it. Here it is:
In a year or two, CSS layers will make more sense.
And what evidence can you claim to support this opinion?

What is it you are waiting for? The four headless horsemen of the
apocalypse?

Isofarro

Daniel said:
To all: You don't agree with what I said? You think I am wrong or
misinformed? Thats fine. Tell me why.

So why don't you explain what miracle is going to happen in the next two
years that will then convince you that CSS is ready for you to use? (As
opposed to what is available right now).

Isofarro

Daniel said:
really? There is no reliable way? I'm using PHP and getting user agent.
What am I missing?

Perhaps you have something we don't. Care to provide a valid URL reference
to an HTTP specification that specifies that the HTTP_USER_AGENT is now a
mandatory header field and along with a full specification as to how each
user agent in existence must identify it.

Start with that simple one first, then we'll gladly puncture double-decker
bus sized holes in this theory you have.