    James Hurrell
    --
    ..

    James Hurrell, Jul 25, 2003

  2. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Jul 26, 2003

  3. James Hurrell

    Daniel Doman Guest

    I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
    means other than getting new machines. Are you suggesting that CSS support
    will always be bad?

    Daniel Doman, Jul 27, 2003
  4. James Hurrell

    Daniel Doman Guest

    "hmmm... i'm not sure where z-index fits into your frames argument but
    i'll take a guess.. i'm still having problems working with CSS so i'll
    use any argument i can think of to muddy the waters and justify my use
    of old outdated and poor practices. "

    That somes kind of rude, and obviously does not refer to what I said.

    Daniel Doman, Jul 27, 2003
  5. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Jul 27, 2003
  6. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Jul 27, 2003
  7. "Daniel Doman" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
    > means other than getting new machines. Are you suggesting that CSS support
    > will always be bad?

    How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

    EightNineThree, Jul 27, 2003
  8. "Daniel Doman" <> wrote in message
    > OK - I'll bite: I don't see how Z-index has anything to do with this and I
    > am happy to learn.
    >
    > As for browsers that don't support CSS properly or completely - well what
    > should I do? Tell them to upgrade? If you want to use my site, come back
    > with a better browser?
    >
    > I use CSS all over the place, but I found that there were too many

    browsers
    > that did not handle overflow:scroll properly or in some cases at all. It
    > helps that Safari which did not support autoscroll at all has been fixed,
    > but IE for OSX is still busted.
    >
    > Frames are a royal pain. No doubt. If you have a better idea I am all

    ears.

    EightNineThree, Jul 27, 2003

    EightNineThree, Jul 27, 2003
  10. Isofarro wrote:
    > Daniel Doman wrote:
    >
    >> BTW - I actually check user agent and generate whatever the browser
    >> supports in some cases.

    > Why am I not surprised this mediocre technique is _still_ in use?

    mediocre ? are you feeling ok?

    I was thinking 'hopeless' at best ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jul 27, 2003
  11. James Hurrell

    Daniel Doman Guest

    not everyone is running IE6

    Daniel Doman, Jul 28, 2003
  12. James Hurrell

    rf Guest

    > What am I missing?

    For a start you are missing a partial quote of the post to which you are
    replying. See what I have done? I have quoted part of your post so others
    can see what I am on about.

    During the last couple of minutes I have read at least four of your posts.
    In every case I had to find the post you replying to, look at and try to
    figure out what the hell you were replying to.

    Having to do this tends to make people simply ignore you.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 28, 2003
  13. James Hurrell

    Disco Guest

    Isofarro wrote:
    > Daniel Doman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers
    >> if by means other than getting new machines.

    > Upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to what?

    Surely you cant be serious Isofaro. Please do not tell me that you do not
    understand his arguement? It looks like you are trying to be silly again.

    Disco, Jul 28, 2003
  14. EightNineThree, Jul 28, 2003
  15. James Hurrell

    Daniel Doman Guest

    OK - I'll be a sport. I can deal with jerks calling me names and flaming
    me. Just give me a straight answer. If you think I am stupid and don't
    understand something, feel free to explain why. If you think I am being
    silly, by all means tell me why. This discussion has fallen to a moronic
    flamefest (no offense intended to you in particular).

    But before I get further flamed, let me be clear that I am not endorsing
    Microsoft in any way.

    To all: You don't agree with what I said? You think I am wrong or
    misinformed? Thats fine. Tell me why. Yuu can be insulting about it if that
    makes you feel better, but say something useful.

    Daniel Doman, Jul 28, 2003
  16. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Daniel Doman wrote:

    > not everyone is running IE6

    A sizeable majority are, and its Internet Explorer that is now far behind in
    the standards compliance. Non IE-6 users upgrading ain't going to change
    the balance sufficiently to prove your point.

    This just proves that your expectations are unrealistic. There's nothing
    going on in the next two years that will affect the IE using public. So CSS
    will not suddenly make more sense in two years. It either makes sense right
    now, or you are stuck with 1997 web development methods until 2007 if you
    are lucky - It could be 2012 before you'll grudgingly accept CSS.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

    Isofarro, Jul 28, 2003
  17. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Disco wrote:

    > Isofarro wrote:
    >> Daniel Doman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers
    >>> if by means other than getting new machines.

    >> Upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to what?

    > Surely you cant be serious Isofaro. Please do not tell me that you do not
    > understand his arguement?

    The question still remains unanswered, perhaps you think yourself capable of
    answering it. Here it is:

    > In a year or two, CSS layers will make more sense.

    And what evidence can you claim to support this opinion?

    What is it you are waiting for? The four headless horsemen of the
    apocalypse?

    Isofarro, Jul 28, 2003
  18. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Jul 28, 2003
  19. James Hurrell

    Isofarro Guest

    Daniel Doman wrote:

    > really? There is no reliable way? I'm using PHP and getting user agent.
    > What am I missing?

    Perhaps you have something we don't. Care to provide a valid URL reference
    to an HTTP specification that specifies that the HTTP_USER_AGENT is now a
    mandatory header field and along with a full specification as to how each
    user agent in existence must identify it.

    Start with that simple one first, then we'll gladly puncture double-decker
    bus sized holes in this theory you have.

    Isofarro, Jul 28, 2003