    different objects.
    3. Make changes to the extension, rebuild it, and replace the defined
    methods on select objects.

    #1 is easy, #2 can be done by linking multiple singletons to the same
    method.

    But #3 cannot be done, because I can't dlclose() extensions.

    Why not?

    I know I could just create new instances of the interpreter.
    I don't want to do this - I want to be able to create a unified,
    persistent object model that avoids the hassle of IPC, but still has the
    ability to load and unload dynamically compiled machine code.

    Do I need to create my own extension loading/unloading library? Or is
    there an obscure feature or upstream patch I'm not aware of?

    Nimai Carsten, Apr 9, 2010