Closure scope confusion

codethief

Hello dear JavaScripters,

I'm currently trying to get a script (http://bitbucket.org/codethief/
pybsd/src/4890d9a4597a/static/js/jquery.inlineedit.js) working and
have run into a problem which you JavaScript gurus surely can solve in
no time unlike me (who certainly doesn't belong to this group, so
please bear with me.)
First of all, I'm doing an initial call, like so:

#
# window = WindowInteraction();
# window.load_url('http://...');
#

.... which should open up a small window / css layer containing the
website with the URL provided.

(BTW: Interestingly, if I use the exact URL for window.load_url()
under this script can be found, Google Chrome loops infinitely whereas
Firefox doesn't. The latter is the wrong behavior since jQuery
executes the JavaScript code in HTML data received over AJAX
(according to the docs). Does Firefox somehow prevent execution of
infinite loops or of JavaScript code received like this?)

Now, let's get to my actual problem in line 161 (http://bitbucket.org/
codethief/pybsd/src/4890d9a4597a/static/js/
jquery.inlineedit.js#cl-161):
The current version works so far which I rather achieved by guessing.
Because:

If I write
# 'success': this.load_html
or
# 'success': load_html
instead of the closure, it won't work at all ('this' is undefined in
load_html, then) because, apparently, the context is lost and
load_html is executed as stand-alone function. This is something I can
follow.
But, why doesn't the following run nicely?

# 'success': function(data) {
# this.load_html(data);
# }

.... results in: "this.load_html is not a function (line: 162)"

Shouldn't 'this' be available in the closure or is it some kind of
special variable? Why does a simply 'load_html(data)' (without 'this.'
in front of it) even work? Are all properties of an object accessible
like this (without 'this.' in front of them) from inside the prototype
function?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this issue.

Joe Nine

codethief said:
Hello dear JavaScripters,

I'm currently trying to get a script (http://bitbucket.org/codethief/
pybsd/src/4890d9a4597a/static/js/jquery.inlineedit.js) working and
have run into a problem which you JavaScript gurus surely can solve in
no time unlike me (who certainly doesn't belong to this group, so
please bear with me.)
First of all, I'm doing an initial call, like so:

#
# window = WindowInteraction();
# window.load_url('http://...');
#

I think we can stop right there. Choose the name myWindow for example
and you should get much further.

Thomas Allen

# 'success': function(data) {
# this.load_html(data);
# }

... results in: "this.load_html is not a function (line: 162)"

Shouldn't 'this' be available in the closure or is it some kind of
special variable?

Only if the 'success' function is being applied the execution context
("this") you expect it to be. See http://www.quirksmode.org/js/this.html
for a decent introduction to "this," perhaps someone here knows of a
better one.
Why does a simply 'load_html(data)' (without 'this.' in front of it)
even work?

Because the following makes the load_html function available in the
global scope:
# window = WindowInteraction();

"window" being the host object.
Are all properties of an object accessible like this (without 'this.'
in front of them) from inside the prototype function?

No, this worked by coincidence.

Thomas

codethief

I just realized that the 'new' operator is missing in front of
'WindowInteraction()'. (However, it definitely worked without 'new' in
the way I described above.)
As 'load_html' (without 'this') didn't work, anymore, I figured out
that 'this' may in fact be a special keyword:

# var wi = this;
#
# jQuery.ajax({
# 'url': url,
# 'data': data,
# 'dataType': 'html',
# 'success': function(data) {
# wi.load_html(data);
# }
# });

.... works. So, is this is the only (and your recommended) solution?

codethief

Oh sorry, I was writing such a long text at first (that I discarded)
that I didn't notice the answers you posted in the meantime. This text
also included some strange things that apparently were caused by me
assigning something to 'window'.

codethief

Now, that I have read the link you posted, Thomas, I think I
understand the whole issue, now.

Thanks to both of you!

Thomas Allen

I just realized that the 'new' operator is missing in front of
'WindowInteraction()'. (However, it definitely worked without 'new' in
the way I described above.)

The main point, as noted by Joe, is that you shouldn't be trying to
clobber the essential window variable as in your original code.
As 'load_html' (without 'this') didn't work, anymore, I figured out
that 'this' may in fact be a special keyword:

Indeed. I'd recommend using an editor with better syntax highlighting
if that wasn't already clear; a good one can make it obvious if you've
accidentally employed a reserved keyword, etc. I recommend vim.
# var wi = this;
#
# jQuery.ajax({
#       'url': url,
#       'data': data,
#       'dataType': 'html',
#       'success': function(data) {
#               wi.load_html(data);
#       }
# });

I think "var me = this", etc. is usually code smell. I see in the
jQuery.ajax documentation that this function accepts a "context"
property, so your code could be:

jQuery.ajax({
url: url,
data: data,
dataType: 'html',
context: this,
success: function(data) {
this.load_html(data);
}
});

Thomas

John G Harris

Only if the 'success' function is being applied the execution context
("this") you expect it to be. See http://www.quirksmode.org/js/this.html
for a decent introduction to "this," perhaps someone here knows of a
better one.
<snip>

That web page is seriously misleading.

For instance
"In JavaScript this always refers to the “owner†of the function
we're executing,"...
isn't true, and use of the word 'owner' is pretty dubious.

For instance
"In other words, we have to copy the function to our onclick
property."
will encourage people to think that functions can be copied by assigning
them.

John

Thomas Allen

That web page is seriously misleading.

Agreed, what's the recommended resource for this question? QuirksMode
does have some decent stuff so I thought it'd be OK.

Thomas

David Mark

John said:
<snip>

That web page is seriously misleading.

For instance
"In JavaScript this always refers to the “owner†of the function
we're executing,"...
isn't true, and use of the word 'owner' is pretty dubious.

For instance
"In other words, we have to copy the function to our onclick
property."
will encourage people to think that functions can be copied by assigning
them.

Yeah, that's vintage PPK. Unfortunately, browser scripting history (as
written on the Web) is full of such follies. I think he wrote a book
about it too. It's so hard getting people to unlearn so much bogus
information.

David Mark

Thomas said:
Agreed, what's the recommended resource for this question? QuirksMode
does have some decent stuff so I thought it'd be OK.

You've got to be careful with that site. It is very much a part of the
cult of observational programming (sort of a shrine actually). In other
words, they see things in browsers and then try to guess what they mean.
Often these faulty inferences are contradicted later, leading to
complaints about "buggy browsers". ;)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas said:
Because the following makes the load_html function available in the
global scope:

"window" being the host object.

I am afraid you are seriously mistaken.

First of all, _a_ host object. Secondly, `window' would not be an object,
it would be the name of a property storing a reference to an object.
Thirdly, if `window' would resolve to the host-defined property of the
Global Object that refers to a Window instance, it is very likely that this
property would be read-only and the assignment had either no effect or
would cause a runtime error. Fourthly: If the assignment was successful,
the stored reference value would be replaced, and the property in question
would not necessarily refer to a host object anymore; it would store
whatever WindowInteraction() returned. Those are a great many ifs.

Another possible explanation that complies better with Occam's Razor is
that `window' does _not_ refer to a host object here, and that the value of
a variable or user-defined property has been overwritten.

What happens here: WindowInteraction() is called with its `this' value
being set to the Global Object (as evaluation of `WindowInteraction'
results in Reference(base=undefined, name=WindowInteraction, ...) because
the only production `MemberExpression : Identifier' can be applied), and it
contains the following statement:

this.load_html = function(html) {
// ...
};

As a result, the Global Object is augmented with a property named
`load_html' which stores a reference to a function object. So load_html()
can be called later without `this.' being part of the expression, either
because the Global Object is in the scope chain of any execution context,
or, less likely, because there is another callable `load_html' in the scope
chain.

After the call, an assignment to `window' is tried. Since no other object
in the scope chain has a property with that name, an attempt takes place to
overwrite the `window' property of the Global Object. This attempt might
even be successful. However, tests with both Iceweasel 3.5.8 (Gecko
1.9.1.8) and IE/MSHTML 6.0.2800.1106 suggest that this assignment is likely
to fail: Gecko issues a warning saying "window is read-only" without
changing the value, and MSHTML throws ReferenceError("Illegal assignment").

As is obvious now, this call is a rather bad move. However, the OP has
found out by now that the `new' was missing, which changes everything:
`this' would then no longer refer to the Global Object, but to the object
that is about to be constructed. As a result, the unqualified call
`load_html()' would fail then (except if there was another callable
load_html in the scope chain).

HTH

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

codethief said:
I just realized that the 'new' operator is missing in front of
'WindowInteraction()'. (However, it definitely worked without 'new' in
the way I described above.)

As I explained.
As 'load_html' (without 'this') didn't work, anymore, I figured out
that 'this' may in fact be a special keyword:

It is, but differently than you think.
# var wi = this;
#
# jQuery.ajax({
# 'url': url,
# 'data': data,
# 'dataType': 'html',
# 'success': function(data) {
# wi.load_html(data);
# }
# });

... works. So, is this is the only (and your recommended) solution?

No, you can use a more direct closure:

jQuery.ajax({
'url': url,
'data': data,
'dataType': 'html',
'success': (function (x) {
return function() {
x.load_html(data);
};
}(wi))
});

As for recommended: Avoid jQuery to begin with.

Secondly, you need to understand that value of `this' is determined *at*
*runtime*; it is determined by the way the method is called, not by the way
it is defined.

Next time, do not prepend code lines with anything but white-space. Posted
code should be executable as-is.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

codethief said:
Now, that I have read the link you posted, Thomas, I think I
understand the whole issue, now.

I seriously doubt it, given that I find the referred explanation strewn with
gaping defects in correctness.
Thanks to both of you!

Both of who?

PointedEars