    http://mindprod.com

    "The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
    ~ Charles Darwin.
    Roedy Green, Apr 15, 2009

  2. Roedy Green

    Qu0ll Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    > something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    > for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    > advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >
    > I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    > say?

    Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came out of
    SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying concept of
    delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm shift from the
    traditional model and is here to stay.

    So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most prominent
    branded products in this area are Google's App Engine, Amazon's services and
    Windows Azure.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Apr 15, 2009

  3. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Peter Duniho wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:49:54 -0700, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >> something substantial behind it?

    > To me, the defining aspect of "cloud computing" is that I don't have control
    > over my data. :)

    That's only the case if you give up control over your data. If you want
    control, keep it. For instance, if you're running a typical e-commerce
    site, you can run the database housing the product catalogue etc in-house,
    but run your app servers out in the cloud, with plenty of memory for
    caching (or even a complete copy of the catalogue on disk, which you can
    update remotely). The only network traffic will be database reads on cache
    misses, and writes when orders etc are made. Terminating those kinds of
    requests will be far less resource-intensive than running the entire site,
    so you need far lighter in-house infrastructure, but retain complete
    control (if we understand the same thing by 'control', that is).

    To me, the defining aspects is instant scalability. Using something like
    EC2, you can go to a webpage (or programmatically to a web service) and
    enlarge your app from running on a single machine to a hundred with a
    single click. And moreover, you pay for what you use - you don't have to
    pay a retainer to keep those 99 extra machines available. That's what
    differentiates cloud from a conventional hosting provider.

    The other big differences are that cloud environments provide a richer set
    of facilities than a plain host - typically a persistent mass storage
    facility, possibly structured as a database of some sort, and a message
    queue service.

    Oh, and also, you typically don't get uptime guarantees, so you have to
    structure your app in such a way that it can smoothly ride over some of
    its servers vanishing with no warning! This is why the facilities are so
    important - keeping all the important state in the storage service and
    using the queue to manage requests helps you do this.

    tom

    --
    I believe there is no philosophical high-road in science, with
    epistemological signposts. No, we are in a jungle and find our way by
    Tom Anderson, Apr 15, 2009
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:03:01 -0400, Lew <> wrote,

    >GIYF and WIYF.
    ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing>
    ><http://www.google.com/search?q=cloud+computing>

    The problem is what is written sounds like salesman bafflegab. I was
    someone was hoping to tell me if there was something of importance
    behind it, and what it was.

    For example Wikipedi says "Cloud computing is a style of computing in
    which dynamically scalable and often virtualised resources are
    provided as a service over the Internet. Users need not have knowledge
    of, expertise in, or control over the technology infrastructure "in
    the cloud" that supports them."

    I have heard almost those same words use to sell hundreds of products.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products

    Roedy Green, Apr 15, 2009
  5. Roedy Green

    David Segall Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    >Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >
    >I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >say?

    You may have already rejected it but I found the Sun "Guide to Getting
    Started with Cloud Computing"
    <http://www.sun.com/offers/details/cloud_computing_primer.html>
    helpful. The are several of the twenty six pages that you could delete
    because they are only pushing Sun's offerings in the field but I
    thought the remainder was a useful primer.
    David Segall, Apr 15, 2009
  6. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Peter Duniho wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 06:33:11 -0700, Tom Anderson <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Peter Duniho wrote:

    >>> To me, the defining aspect of "cloud computing" is that I don't have
    >>> control over my data. :)

    >> That's only the case if you give up control over your data. If you want
    >> control, keep it. [...]

    > That is very often impossible.
    >
    > As I noted already, the term "cloud computing" is poorly-defined. But the
    > current popular usage, as opposed to a more formalized description (as found
    > on Wikipedia for example), is generally concerning such user applications as
    > web email, social networking sites, blogging sites, newsgroup portals, photo
    > album sites, etc.

    What? That's not what cloud computing means in the slightest.

    > This is because most of the people using the term are the end-users, not
    > the system architects, developers, and admins, with their own point of
    > view.

    I have never heard anyone use the term 'cloud computing' to refer to any
    of those things, end-user, developer, salesman, priest, nobody. Could you
    point me at some examples of its use to mean that?

    tom

    --
    We discovered in Nature's work a pattern of sloppiness, indifference to
    basic scholarly standards, and flagrant errors so numerous they completely
    Tom Anderson, Apr 15, 2009
  7. David Segall wrote:
    > Roedy Green <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >> something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >> for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >> advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >>
    >> I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >> say?

    > You may have already rejected it but I found the Sun "Guide to Getting
    > Started with Cloud Computing"
    > <http://www.sun.com/offers/details/cloud_computing_primer.html>
    > helpful. The are several of the twenty six pages that you could delete
    > because they are only pushing Sun's offerings in the field but I
    > thought the remainder was a useful primer.

    I agree - I've read it myself. I thought it was a pretty reasonable
    description.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Apr 16, 2009
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    > something substantial behind it?

    Absolutely.

    You will see a lot of solutions being hosted in the cloud
    in the next decade.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2009
  9. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >> something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >> for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >> advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >>
    >> I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >> say?

    > Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came out
    > of SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying concept of
    > delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm shift from
    > the traditional model and is here to stay.

    Cloud is PaaS not SaaS.

    > So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    > investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most prominent
    > branded products in this area are Google's App Engine, Amazon's services
    > and Windows Azure.

    Yup.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2009
  10. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > That said, IMHO the Wikipedia article gives the phrase far too much
    > technical detail as compared to how it's actually used by most people I
    > hear. The more popular, less rigorous definition seems to be simply any
    > kind of user/client application that would traditionally run entirely on
    > a workstation, but which instead has been implemented as a client/server
    > application.
    >
    > In that usage, the key identifying feature is that the primary storage
    > and manipulation of the user's data is on the server, while the
    > client-side portion of the application is simply some kind of view onto
    > the server state. Most often (at least in the popular context), that
    > "view" is implemented using HTML and related technologies (e.g. browser
    > scripting, CSS, etc.).

    That is not cloud computing.

    That is thin client, client-server etc..

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2009
  11. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > As I noted already, the term "cloud computing" is poorly-defined. But
    > the current popular usage, as opposed to a more formalized description
    > (as found on Wikipedia for example), is generally concerning such user
    > applications as web email, social networking sites, blogging sites,
    > newsgroup portals, photo album sites, etc.

    That is not cloud computing.

    That is web 2.0.

    Different buzzword.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2009
  12. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:59:12 -0700, Tom Anderson <>
    > wrote:
    >> I have never heard anyone use the term 'cloud computing' to refer to
    >> any of those things, end-user, developer, salesman, priest, nobody.
    >> Could you point me at some examples of its use to mean that?

    > Well, one person in particular who promulgates that usage is Leo
    > Laporte, who has just enough tech skills to generate a following among
    > the pop culture of tech. Unfortunately for the purposes of this forum,
    > the references are nearly all as audio recordings without transcripts,
    > but they are there. Here's one example:
    > http://twit.tv/twil16
    >
    > Related to Laporte's content business is a blog article here:
    > http://extweeme.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/so-this-is-real-life/

    Does not define cloud computing.

    > See "3. Cloud-based end-user applications" here:
    > http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/10/web-20-and-cloud-computing.html#definitions

    Does not agree with you.

    Cloud-based end-user applications != the cloud itself

    > Or the lead paragraph for this article:
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/hosted_apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208700713

    Agrees with Tom's definition - it is the cloud that hosts apps - not the
    apps being the cloud.

    > Here's Richard Stallman's take on the contemporary usage of the term:
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

    Distinguishes between cloud and web 2.0 apps.

    > Check out Google's Eric Schmidt description:
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=369

    His:

    <quote>
    It starts with the premise that the data services and architecture
    should be on servers. We call it cloud computing – they should be in a
    ‘cloud’ somewhere.
    </quote>

    could be interpreted as if cloud was just server computing.

    But it could just as easily be interpreted otherwise and given
    who he is, then I am sure it was meant otherwise.

    In http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_52/b4064052938160.htm
    he is more technical and here it is clear that the cloud is the
    platform not the apps.

    > That's just to name a few examples.

    It is examples.

    But it is not really examples of what you claim it to be.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2009
  13. Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >> something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >> for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >> advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >>
    >> I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >> say?

    > Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came out
    > of SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying concept of
    > delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm shift from
    > the traditional model and is here to stay.
    >
    > So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    > investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most prominent
    > branded products in this area are Google's App Engine, Amazon's services
    > and Windows Azure.

    And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it.
    I have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running most
    apps. Just try and do a bit of video editing in cloud-land...

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 16, 2009
  14. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

    > Qu0ll wrote:
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >>> something substantial behind it?

    > And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it. I
    > have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running most
    > apps. Just try and do a bit of video editing in cloud-land...

    A fine example of an app that really isn't suitable for being cloud-based!

    Well, not like that. You could imagine a system for doing video editing
    where the high-def raw video lived on a server, and you, the editor, just
    got low-res rough copy, then you did the editing with that locally, and
    transmitted what i believe is called an 'edit decision list' back to the
    server, which did the full-size compositing. Not good enough for
    high-quality film or proper TV work, but very useful for journalism, where
    speed and mobility are of the essence.

    Anyway, that would be cloudable.

    tom

    --
    Teach us how to die well
    Tom Anderson, Apr 16, 2009
  15. Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >
    >> Qu0ll wrote:
    >>> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message

    >> And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it. I
    >> have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running most
    >> apps. Just try and do a bit of video editing in cloud-land...

    > A fine example of an app that really isn't suitable for being cloud-based!
    >
    > Well, not like that. You could imagine a system for doing video editing
    > where the high-def raw video lived on a server, and you, the editor,
    > just got low-res rough copy, then you did the editing with that locally,
    > and transmitted what i believe is called an 'edit decision list' back to
    > the server, which did the full-size compositing. Not good enough for
    > high-quality film or proper TV work, but very useful for journalism,
    > where speed and mobility are of the essence.
    >
    > Anyway, that would be cloudable.

    Every few years the industry tries and sells "The Mainframe" under a
    different guise. This is just the latest version. It will have a niche
    appeal, but I don't see it as being any kind of revolution.

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 17, 2009
  16. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Qu0ll wrote:
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >>> something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >>> for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >>> advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >>>
    >>> I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >>> say?

    >> Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came
    >> out of SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying
    >> concept of delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm
    >> shift from the traditional model and is here to stay.
    >>
    >> So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    >> investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most prominent
    >> branded products in this area are Google's App Engine, Amazon's
    >> services and Windows Azure.

    > And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it.
    > I have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running most
    > apps.

    If you have a slow connection to the internet then hosting apps used
    by internal users in the cloud is not good, but hosting apps used
    by external users in the cloud will be very good.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 17, 2009
  17. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Qu0ll wrote:
    >>> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message

    >>> Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came
    >>> out of SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying
    >>> concept of delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm
    >>> shift from the traditional model and is here to stay.
    >>>
    >>> So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    >>> investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most
    >>> prominent branded products in this area are Google's App Engine,
    >>> Amazon's services and Windows Azure.

    >> And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it.
    >> I have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running
    >> most apps.

    > If you have a slow connection to the internet then hosting apps used
    > by internal users in the cloud is not good, but hosting apps used
    > by external users in the cloud will be very good.
    >
    > Arne

    Somehow I don't think the bandwidth of my net connection will ever match
    that of my HDD

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 17, 2009
  18. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

    >>> And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it.
    >>> I have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running
    >>> most apps.

    >> If you have a slow connection to the internet then hosting apps used
    >> by internal users in the cloud is not good, but hosting apps used
    >> by external users in the cloud will be very good.

    > Somehow I don't think the bandwidth of my net connection will ever match
    > that of my HDD

    Most likely not.

    But so what.

    The users of your brilliant web app may still find it faster to connect
    to Google or Amazon than to your server, if you have a slow connection.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 17, 2009
  19. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    >>> If you have a slow connection to the internet then hosting apps used
    >>> by internal users in the cloud is not good, but hosting apps used
    >>> by external users in the cloud will be very good.

    >> Somehow I don't think the bandwidth of my net connection will ever
    >> match that of my HDD

    > Most likely not.
    >
    > But so what.
    >
    > The users of your brilliant web app may still find it faster to connect
    > to Google or Amazon than to your server, if you have a slow connection.

    Not if their connection is as slow as mine.
    So, what cloud apps do you think will prosper?

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 17, 2009
  20. Roedy Green

    David Segall Guest

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <> wrote:

    >Qu0ll wrote:
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is "cloud computing" a meaningless marketing buzzword or is there
    >>> something substantial behind it? Sun keeps sending me Vip-commercials
    >>> for it (Vip was a fictitious product accidentally and generically
    >>> advertised in the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie Lover Come Back).
    >>>
    >>> I would like to compose an entry in the Java Glossary. What should I
    >>> say?

    >> Industry is always looking for new buzzwords. Cloud Computing came out
    >> of SOA and SaaS. Though the terms may change the underlying concept of
    >> delivering software as a service is a substantial paradigm shift from
    >> the traditional model and is here to stay.
    >>
    >> So it may be called something else in a few years time but it's worth
    >> investing time into learning about it now. I guess the most prominent
    >> branded products in this area are Google's App Engine, Amazon's services
    >> and Windows Azure.
    >>

    >And it all means nothing if you don't have the bandwidth to use it.
    >I have a 3Mb/s links and it's painful to try and use it for running most
    >apps. Just try and do a bit of video editing in cloud-land...

    Cloud computing is not aimed at routine client-server applications
    although it may provide an inexpensive way of hosting them. It is
    intended for applications that need large amounts of processing and/or
    storage. Your link is all that is needed to transfer the image of a
    person coming up your drive to Amazon's servers where it can be
    processed against terabytes of images and return a short biography of
    your visitor before they ring the door bell.
    David Segall, Apr 17, 2009