Club Starter Kit and MS Access? part II

Lero

I know SQL server is the way to go but I feel rip by my ISP when they give
me 3Gb of storage without MS SQL Server support, unless I pay $15 dollars a
month more, on the other hand I can use Access with ODBC for free.
I'm trying to port my existing PHP website to ASP.NET. Since this website is
for a none profit org. PHP and MySQL hosting is very affordable. My next
question would be: is it worth the time to adopt ASP.NET technology just to
find out that ISP's will force you to pay more for a ASP.NET / SQL
package??????

Guest

For just a bit more than $15 a month I know of at least one hosting company
that will give you SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0, and plenty of space and
bandwidth. CrystalTech does this, and I bet there are at least a couple of
others.
Moral of the story: choose your hosting provider carefully.

Peter

Lero

Ok let see
100Mb Total space
2000Mb bandwidth
1 MS SQL database
for 7 dollars.
The club starter kit req. 2 MS db's.
Not a good deal
I can have 3000 Mb 50Gb transfer with out MS SQL for 4.00 dollars

Guest

Lero,
Sure you can. In fact, you can probably find hosting for free. But if your
club gets a lot of member, you aren't going to have much of a web site,
performance - wise with Access. Even Microsoft, by making the SQLExpress the
default Membership etc. provider in VS 2005 (as opposed to MSAccess which was
the one in the betas), is telling you its not a good idea.
You get what you pay for my friend.
Peter

Lero

Sure you can. In fact, you can probably find hosting for free. But if your
club gets a lot of member, you aren't going to have much of a web site,
performance - wise with Access. Even Microsoft, by making the SQLExpress
the
default Membership etc. provider in VS 2005 (as opposed to MSAccess which
was
the one in the betas), is telling you its not a good idea.
You get what you pay for my friend.
Peter

Hi Peter,
you have a nice website with all those hints about SQL Server.
Money wise I would just replicate The Club Starter Kit in PHP since I can
get PHP and MySQL hosting for 2.99 and for the end user performance would
not be a big difference as ASP.NET
Then why ODBC Access is free and MS SQL - MySQL on windows server has to be
a paid service, is there a flap in the windows servers??

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I can get PHP and MySQL hosting for 2.99

You should look at places like : http://www.m6.net/
who offer both ASP.NET and MySQL starting at $4.

It should be almost trivial to export the table structure to a sql script
which MySQL can use to create the required database.

Here's a MySQL Membership provider you can use/adapt :
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/MySQLMembershipProvider.asp

re:
Money wise I would just replicate The Club Starter Kit in PHP

If you're only going to save $1 a month, how long will it
take you to recuperate your investment in programming time ?