clueless student trying to parse XML

sal achhala

I need pointing in the right direction regards writing a parser to parse
HTML/XML in order to extract the data from it.

Im writing a prototype for the final application but bieng fairly new to
java I'm totally at a loss where to start.

I'm getting quite frustrated as i havent got a clue where to start (ive read
some of the javadoc & have a pile of java reference books)

Ive read up on the DOM/SAX standards and java's support for XML parsing but
still no idea how to actually get coding.

The final application is aimed at extracting data which meets user critera
from a given website.

thanks

sal

ps this is a final year University Computer Science Project

more deails at http://www.mellowmoose.org/project.html

Thomas Weidenfeller

http://java.sun.com/xml/tutorial_intro.html

Im writing a prototype for the final application but bieng fairly new to
java I'm totally at a loss where to start.

Maybe at the beginning then, by learning the language?
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
ps this is a final year University Computer Science Project

more deails at http://www.mellowmoose.org/project.html

You are aware of the fact that we don't do homework in this group?

/Thomas

Emanuel Bulic

To begin... html is not always parseable by an xml parser. rules
regarding html are less strict than xml, which means valid HTML is not
equivalent to valid xml... many web pages contain invalid html
(missing closed tags, etc) that will not pass xml well-formedness.

Next... become familiar with XML processing and java. buy an XML for
Java book, and use online resources. apache is your best friend.

XML technologies (java)

JAXP- java api for xml proc. standard api for xml processing.
Xerces - open source xml parser by apache... xml.apache.org
xalan - " " " xml transformer by apache. same place

that should keep you busy for a week...

Miguel De Anda

ps this is a final year University Computer Science Project

more deails at http://www.mellowmoose.org/project.html

That's why I never cheated in school. I got C's-F's but I came out of there
knowing more than most people there. I'm not saying you cheated or anything,
but I'm saying that if you learned anything, you should at least have an
idea as to how to start.

If you know understand the xml parsing libraries, trying learning them first
because attempting to use them in a large project.

sal achhala

Emanual cheers for the helpful hints, i think theres anogh there to keep me
busy for more then a week !!

Im going to write my own parser but will alos experiment with Xerces.

BTW whats the deal with the sarcy comments from the other posters ? Im quite
good at Programming having achieved over 75% on ALL my programming modules
and I have no intention of asking anyone do to 'my homework'.

Get real folks and ditch the attitude :)

sal

Harald Hein

sal achhala said:
BTW whats the deal with the sarcy comments from the other posters
?

You come here first time. You didn't read any of the material on Sun's
web site, an archive of this group, any of the many FAQs, maybe not
even a simple textbook about Java and XML. Not talking about the W3C
XML standard. And you are asking for help with your homework, you think
you childish computer science project is so important that we have to
drop everything and work on your problem? And you are surprised? How
can anyone with so little clue make it to his final year in computer
science?
Get real folks and ditch the attitude :)

I see, you are working hard to reduce your chance of geting help here
next time to close to zero. Good work.

sal achhala

Grow up harald ...

Seriously lack of maturity here.

Ive been posting on java sun forums and others without any problems and FYI
ive read a fair few books on java AND the java sun tutorials too.

I've also read the Java XML book by wrox.

If you dont want to offer help then dont, but keep your nasty comments &
immaturity to yourself.

sal