    (O'Reilly) does not list such a tag. Is this a special extension?

    cmd="HTTP://10.0.1.27/php/search.php">

    Todd
    Todd Cary, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Todd Cary

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:43:34 GMT Todd Cary wrote:

    > I came across this tag and it has a CMD property. My HTML book
    > (O'Reilly) does not list such a tag. Is this a special extension?

    > cmd="HTTP://10.0.1.27/php/search.php">

    > Todd

    It would appear to be an obsolete tag so newer browsers won't recognize it.

    It was a valid tag in html 1.0 but is not listed in valid tags with 4.0.
    I wouldn't use it.
    Richard, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Todd Cary

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when Todd Cary
    <> wrote:

    >I came across this tag and it has a CMD property.

    That's a tag with a cmd attribute. Please use the correct names for
    things, because once you start to delve deep, then it begins to
    matter.

    > My HTML book
    >(O'Reilly) does not list such a tag.

    There's a time to outgrow such books. One of the great things about
    the net is that the exact documents that define it are publically
    available, either as RFCs (the network) or as TRs (for web things).
    Learn to read "DTD"s like this one
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html
    _This_ is the authoritative reference for HTML (or at least one
    version of HTML). Go to the source, not to a book (which is often
    itself wrong or outdated).

    >Is this a special extension?

    >cmd="HTTP://10.0.1.27/php/search.php">

    Yes. These are less common than they used to be in the mid 90's, but
    they still pop up.

    At a guess, there's some JavaScript on the page that installs itself
    as a menu handler and uses these "menu" and "cmd" attributes to
    control its behaviour.

    This isn't a bad approach. It works and it won't break anything. But
    it _does_ mean that the HTML is no longer strictly valid. This may or
    (probably) may not be a problem for you. I'd continue to use such
    code, but I don't think I'd do it from scratch.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Todd Cary

    Todd Cary Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > It was somewhere outside Barstow when Todd Cary
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I came across this tag and it has a CMD property.

    > That's a tag with a cmd attribute. Please use the correct names for
    > things, because once you start to delve deep, then it begins to
    > matter.
    >

    >>My HTML book
    >>(O'Reilly) does not list such a tag.

    > There's a time to outgrow such books. One of the great things about
    > the net is that the exact documents that define it are publically
    > available, either as RFCs (the network) or as TRs (for web things).
    > Learn to read "DTD"s like this one
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html
    > _This_ is the authoritative reference for HTML (or at least one
    > version of HTML). Go to the source, not to a book (which is often
    > itself wrong or outdated).
    >

    >>Is this a special extension?

    >>cmd="HTTP://10.0.1.27/php/search.php">

    > Yes. These are less common than they used to be in the mid 90's, but
    > they still pop up.
    >
    > At a guess, there's some JavaScript on the page that installs itself
    > as a menu handler and uses these "menu" and "cmd" attributes to
    > control its behaviour.
    >
    > This isn't a bad approach. It works and it won't break anything. But
    > it _does_ mean that the HTML is no longer strictly valid. This may or
    > (probably) may not be a problem for you. I'd continue to use such
    > code, but I don't think I'd do it from scratch.

    Thank you for the detailed explanation. Greatly appreciated.

    Todd
    Todd Cary, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Richard wrote:

    > It would appear to be an obsolete tag so newer browsers won't recognize
    > it.

    > It was a valid tag

    It isn't a tag, its an attribute.

    > in html 1.0

    There is no such thing. The first formal version of HTML was 2.0 (defined in
    RFC 1866).

    > but is not listed in valid tags with 4.0.

    There is no cmd attribute in any version of HTML published by the W3C, nor
    does it exist in RFC 1866. The <div> _tag_ on the other hand is perfectly
    standard.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Feb 24, 2005