Cocoon Pipeline Processing Internals -- Some Questions

Discussion in 'XML' started by Stuart, May 11, 2005.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Hi,

    I am relatively new to Cocoon and have some quick questions as to how
    it processes its pipelines:

    1. I assume that each stage in a pipeline must complete fully before
    the next phase is invoked, right? In other words, it is a serial,
    step-by-step pipeline, not one that ever works in parallel a la classic
    reader-writer processes sharing a buffer.

    2. Is the XML that passes through the various pipeline stages reparsed
    from text at every stage, or once the generator parses the original XML
    into a SAX data structure, is the XML passed to the various
    transformers as a SAX data structure?

    I ask these questions, particularly the latter, to try to understand
    the performance implications of using Cocoon generally and its various
    component specifically.

    Thank you very much to anyone who can enlighten me, either via comments
    or links to enlightening writings, on these basic topics.

    Stuart Hoffman
    Vienna, VA
    Stuart, May 11, 2005