Code Autoformatting

GD

Problem: HTML Code reformats even though I have turned it off in "Options"

Using .NET 1.1, in Options under Text Editor - HTML/XML - Format there are
two options

Apply Automatic Formatting
When saving document
When switching from design to HTML/XML view

I have turned off both options but the IDE continues to reformat my page
anyway !!! ... this leads to errors when the page is compiled (don't know
why, but if I manually reformat the page everything is ok again)

Is there another setting somewhere that overrides these options ?

Thanks

Gary

Craig Deelsnyder

GD said:
Problem: HTML Code reformats even though I have turned it off in "Options"

Using .NET 1.1, in Options under Text Editor - HTML/XML - Format there are
two options

Apply Automatic Formatting
When saving document
When switching from design to HTML/XML view

I have turned off both options but the IDE continues to reformat my page
anyway !!! ... this leads to errors when the page is compiled (don't know
why, but if I manually reformat the page everything is ok again)

Is there another setting somewhere that overrides these options ?

Thanks

Gary
Unfortunately it still 'formats' when you switch views, meaning I've
seen it when you switch to Design view, it shoves everything over to the
left (takes out some whitespace), even tho you turn these options on.
Then when you go back to HTML view, it doesn't 'put it back the way it
was'...so it still does some minor (but annoying) formatting. It's
known to do that, even tho it is better in 2003.

VS.NET 2005 is supposed to address this correctly (and totally). Until
then, it can cause some headaches. Luckily I've learned to use the HTML
view exclusively (except for inital dropping of controls on the page),
then it doesn't seem to reformat.

Guadala Harry

Others of us have decided to *practically never* view HTML in VS.NET 2003
because of this reformatting issue. Personally I do all HTML page layout
work in Dreamweaver and switch to VS.NET for all code-behind development,
debugging, and testing. There are lots of threads about this topic over
previous months... with different developers reporting similar reformatting
issues and alternative ways to get around them.

Good Luck!

GH

GD

You'd think that this is a patchable bug ? ... and since it affects most ASP
..Net developers ... you'd think that Microsoft would get the lead out and
get it fixed !!

Anyway .. thanks for the replies... I'll keep away from design view and
stick to HTML view for now (Until VS 2005 .... :-/ )

Mike Chidsey

One thing I've found to work is when you notice the code was re-formatted,
hit CTL-Z or Edit | Undo. This will undo the formatting. This won't work
if you don't catch it right when it happens.

-Mike