code behaves differently on different servers

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by CreepieDeCrapper, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. i have a simple JS window.open function that i'm calling and it works great
    here:

    http://demo.creationsite.com/GLBC/www/
    (click on "virtual tour" in the yellow text link)

    - no status bar
    - proper title in title bar (same as main window)

    now once i transferred this EXACT file (and included JS file) to the live
    location (which is with a different hosting provider btw) i have some
    issues:

    http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
    (click the same link as before)

    - now i get a status bar!
    - the title doesn't show up correctly (the URL is automatically displayed in
    front of what i have for the title tag)
    - do a "view source" and see what i mean

    this live site is with MediaTemple btw

    anyone ever see this behavior before?

    thank you for any help you can provide!

    - kevin

    CreepieDeCrapper, Apr 5, 2005

  2. CreepieDeCrapper

    Lee Guest

    CreepieDeCrapper said:

    >i have a simple JS window.open function that i'm calling and it works great
    >here:
    >
    >http://demo.creationsite.com/GLBC/www/
    >(click on "virtual tour" in the yellow text link)
    >
    >- no status bar
    >- proper title in title bar (same as main window)
    >

    >now once i transferred this EXACT file (and included JS file) to the live
    >location (which is with a different hosting provider btw) i have some
    >issues:
    >
    >http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
    >(click the same link as before)
    >
    >- now i get a status bar!
    >- the title doesn't show up correctly (the URL is automatically displayed in
    >front of what i have for the title tag)
    >- do a "view source" and see what i mean

    I see exactly the same thing at both sites (status bar and URL in title), using
    IE6 and Firefox.

    Lee, Apr 5, 2005

  3. first off, thank you for testing

    i'm using the same browsers as you (on xp pro) and get different results as
    indicated in my first post... not sure why, it's a very odd issue

    if you have the time, view source the popup and look at the <title> tag...
    notice the URL isn't in there... any ideas here?

    CreepieDeCrapper, Apr 6, 2005
  4. CreepieDeCrapper

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Service Pack 2 for Windows XP changes the behaviour of the various
    Security zones in Internet Explorer. demo.creationsite.com is most
    likely in your Intranet zone, where Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 does
    _not_ add the URL to the titlebar. www.greatlakesbrewing.com is most
    likely in your Internet zone, where Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 in it's
    default configuration _does_ add the URL to the titlebar.

    There is _nothing_ you can do about this, it is a security feature added
    to Internet Explorer in Windows XP Service Pack 2 to allow people to see
    at a glance that the link they clicked on which opened a new window that
    navigated to http:// is not ebay.com,
    but in fact is somemalicioussite.com.

    The same information appears in the titlebar of recent Gecko-based
    browsers when a new window without an address bar is opened.

    I'm sure there is some configuration or registry change an individual
    could make that would change this behaviour, but you can't affect that
    change from your Web site.

    You'll just have to live with it, because the people using your site are
    seeing the URL in the titlebar.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>

    Grant Wagner, Apr 7, 2005
  5. wow, nice catch
    that is exactly what is happening :)

    any input about the status bar showing up? my code is set to prevent it yet
    it still displays... maybe for the same reason the URL is in the title bar
    (i.e. zoning security, etc.)

    CreepieDeCrapper, Apr 7, 2005
  6. CreepieDeCrapper

    Grant Wagner Guest

    The status bar appears for the same reason the titlebar has the URL in
    it, to prevent a malicious Web site from opening a new window that
    pretends to be someone else and tricking the user into doing things they
    wouldn't normally do. Again, you have no control over this.

    If a user of Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 (comes with Windows XP Service
    Pack 2) wishes, they can go to Tools > Internet Options > Security tab >
    choose the appropriate zone and click Custom Level... > Miscellaneous >
    and uncheck Allow script-initiated windows without size or position
    constraints. But you have no way to do that programmatically.

    Recent Gecko-based browsers do this as well, and I would imagine that
    Opera 8 will do this too (if 7.5 doesn't already do it).

    Grant Wagner, Apr 7, 2005